DjangoBooks.com

San Jose (California) Gypsy Jazz Take Over

Il TrovatoreIl Trovatore San Jose, CANew
edited November 2013 in North America Posts: 83
Howdy,
My name is Nyk and I am trying to organize a GJ take over at a local coffee spot (I know the manager and she is cool with it) as well and moving into some other local venues.

I was hoping to connect with folks in the SF Bay Area who would be interested in a once or twice a month jam and then have a once a month concert/show.

The spot is all taken care of, just need the folks.
Thank you!
_Nyk

Comments

• tophtoph ✭✭
    Make any headway on getting this organized? I'd love to come out for a jam, perhaps only as a spectator at first. Either way, it sounds like a great idea!
  • Il TrovatoreIl Trovatore San Jose, CANew
    toph wrote:
    Make any headway on getting this organized? I'd love to come out for a jam, perhaps only as a spectator at first. Either way, it sounds like a great idea!

I have quite a bit of interested folks, just need to figure out a night.
    Where are you located?
  • tophtoph ✭✭
    I live in Santa Cruz, but I'd make the trip over the hill for sure.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I would like to attend, if possible. I'm a GJ rookie, but might bring my guitar. It would be nice to have a list of some of the songs to learn the rhythm parts.
  • malakkamalakka ✭✭
    Hi,

I live in SF and would like to attend the "Take Over" as well. Would love to know the list of possible tunes as well. I'm a rookie as well. Thank you, Bill
    Howdy everybody,
    thanks for all the comments I am trying to iron out when the first one of these will be.
    I am trying to shoot for the end of October beginning of November, before the weather gets too cold and then keep them regularly.
    Please stay in touch and I will keep everybody interested posted.
    Also,
    as requested here are some tracks I am working on and would teach/help out with.
    Songs I have been running through (rhythm):
    -Hungaria (lead also)
    -Django's Tiger (lead also, roughly)
    -Minor Swing (cuz ya know, it's Minor Swing)(lead also)
    -Honeysuckle Rose (advanced and minimal)
    -Belleville (slowly)
    -Minor Blues
    -B-612
    -Elena's Bossa (very very roughly)

(Disclaimer: I am by no means a master of this genre, just very passionate and people helped me learn when I was new and I want to help people get into more)
  • tophtoph ✭✭
    I recently acquired a lovely Gitane and I've been practicing the tunes you listed, plus I got a few more up my sleeve. I'm itching to jam! The anticipation is killing me!