DjangoBooks.com

What loop end strings have blue thread?

spinalityspinality Gardiner, WA, USANew
I'm trying to decide what type/weight of strings were installed on my recently acquired guitar by the previous owner. They are typical loop-end strings, and sound and play more or less like Argentines...but instead of the red or purple thread wraps that I see on my string sets on hand, these are wrapped with blue thread. Does this ring any bells? Thanks for any ideas. I like how these strings perform, so I'd just as soon get identical replacements...or at least know what I'm replacing.
-- Trevor Hanson, Gardiner WA

Comments

• flip-guitarflip-guitar ✭✭
    Hi, Picato strings, made in the UK, have blue silks, dark blue for the 10's and light blue for the 11's. They are my current string of choice, seem to be a bit warmer sounding than Argentines, less of that honky, nasal upper mid tone.
    I'm pretty sure JWC guitars fit these strings as standard.
    Hope this helps.
  • spinalityspinality Gardiner, WA, USANew
    Hi, Picato strings, made in the UK, have blue silks, dark blue for the 10's and light blue for the 11's.

Aha! I bet that's it, and this explains why I didn't recognize them. Much obliged.
    Hi, Picato strings, made in the UK, have blue silks.

I can't seem to find any sign of Picato loop end gypsy strings. Picato's own website is under construction. Strings Direct in the UK offers lots of Picato strings, but mostly banjo/mandolin/etc. Do you have an item number for those guitar sets? Thanks for any further leads.
  • flip-guitarflip-guitar ✭✭
    Trevor , I think the code for loop end 10's is 91625, the ball end 10's are 91615 but the bad news is that the loop end sets are discontinued, as I found when I tried to re-order yesterday :(

The only place that seems to have any left in stock is http://www.gypsyguitar.de in Germany,
    http://www.gypsyguitar.de/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=613&category_id=148&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&lang=en

Unless Picato will do a custom order it will have to be the ball end sets, although I really do prefer loop end.
    Trevor , I think the code for loop end 10's is 91625, the ball end 10's are 91615 but the bad news is that the loop end sets are discontinued, as I found when I tried to re-order yesterday.

Dang. It's hard even to find the ball-end strings for sale. I guess Picato doesn't have much of a presence. Well thanks anyway for your quick answers. I'm probably better off restringing with an easily-available set, and seeing how the guitar performs with them.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I might be wrong but I believe Dell Arte strings have a blue thread as well...
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Ite ... te_10_loop (unfortunately they are out of stock at djangobooks' store but you can get them here http://****/products/dellarte- ... loop-ends/)
    I don't remember liking them all that much but the Django picture in the cover made for a very cool case sticker...
    I believe Dell Arte strings have a blue thread as well...

Ah yes, you're right! The description at **** says "blue silk winding at loop ends, silvered copper wound on steel core, designed for Selmer and Maccaferri style guitars."

So I think these are more likely Dell'Arte than Picato. Maybe I'll give them a try. There seem to be mixed opinions on how they perform. Perhaps they're a good choice for this particular guitar.

Much obliged for the input.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Glad to help!
  • I am pretty sure the Dell Arte strings are wound on a hex core wire. Argies are would on round core wire.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I tried a set of Dell'Arte John Jorgensen strings some years ago. I didn't have much experience with GJ strings at the time, so I can't comment on how the sound or playability compared to others, but on both sets, the wrap on the G strings unravelled after a matter of days. There would be little gaps at each fret position. I've never seen that on any other brand.

Over the years, I've come to prefer Argies for both sound and feel. The round core makes a difference, hex core strings feel stiffer.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles