DjangoBooks.com

GJ endings sliding up the fretboard technique

bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
edited July 2013 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 243
Does anyone know if there is a Youtube video that demonstrates how to do those GJ endings where one slides up the fretboard in a one fell swoop sort of motion, keeping the same finger position? You probably know what I'm referring to. This is just one example of that technique in action (among many) at the end of "Minor Swing." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6uXGSTfz_4

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    There's a few variants but the basic one is: You first pick the 5th / dominant of the target note, then you go back a semitone then chromatically all the way up to the tonic. So 8 notes in total. Takes heaps of practice to get it clean and in good timing. When you hear ppl doing it with a whole chord, it's usually a dominant-9th shape i.e. in the key of Dm you'd start with the chord [x45455] noting that the 5th fret on the high E string (A) is the dominant of the Tonic D.

Romane talks about it a little bit here...
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    i don't know why my embed didn't work :(

http://youtu.be/C3iU0mtcE-0?t=1m10s
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    Thanks for your explanation and the video!

Nonetheless, as you say, Romane talks "a little bit" about it, so it is somewhat helpful. But he doesn't really show using the full chord technique or explain how to apply it. Thankfully, you do explain it some: use the 5th dominant of the target note. But exactly how is the target note determined? I suppose that should be obvious, but I'm just a little surprised that there isn't any video technique instruction on this since the technique is used so frequently in the GJ tradition to put a nice finishing touch on medium-fast and fast tempo tunes.
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    About 80% of the songs in the Rosenberg Academy have that ending: fast, slow, single note, full chords, different keys, you name it. All completely transcribed and in the earlier songs with a written explanation of how to do it. It's really not that difficult, just slide the left hand (keeping the form of the hand, so don't slide your finger(s) or anything) and pick 8th notes with your right hand, timing it so they both end up together on the last chord (note) on the first beat of the last bar.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Target note is the tonic. i.e. if you are playing in Bb, start on the F and gliss up until Bb
  • normsfunnormsfun
    Here's how I like to do the single note version.
    Example: Key of G
    Downstroke on D, pull off to C#, upstroke on D, downstoke on Eb, upstroke on E, downstroke on F, upstroke on F#, downstroke on G.

I do it this way so I end on a downstroke.

Hope that helps!