DjangoBooks.com

What's this buzz?

What's this buzz from and how do I fix it:

Comments

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    A little more info - there is a bulge underneath the bridge and one of the mustache pieces popped off.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I can't hear it in that clip. Can you isolate it to a particular string, play one string at a time, and/or maybe put the mic closer to where you think it is coming from?

Maybe also a picture of the bulge.
  • mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
    I'm no luthier, but I can hear what you mean. It's sort of a fast rattling sound. I had something like it coming from my tailpiece, on what I suspect was a much cheaper guitar. If I tapped the tailpiece I would hear the same rattle. I just slid out the tailpiece a couple of mm and the sound went away. The better fix for me would probably be a better insert, meaning one not made of plastic.

This is only speculation of course- yours may darn well be something else (a loose winding on a string past its prime, excessively low action..?) is it also on single notes or only chords? I can't see the top of your guitar, but uncut string end at the headstock sound a bit like that. Also, if I tuck my headstock tuner in and it touches the wood it rattles too.

Good luck w it. I hope it's just the metronome next to you vibrating sympathetically and not the guitar at all! :wink: happens w pianos all the time!
  • mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
    PS I had a similar sound from loose tuning buttons before also. Forgot about that. I hope it's something simple for your sake
    It's more of a rattle than a buzz, and it isn't string or pitch dependent. If you know what you are listening for it is actually pretty clear in that video, definitely not a low action kind of buzz. I'm going to go ahead and take it to the Luthier and post the diagnosis in case anyone else is having similar problems. . . .

Actually, I just picked up my guitar and it went away. Hmmmm. . . it is apparently going to be one of those problems like you get in your car that everytime you go to take it in it disappears. Well, I hope it stays gone.
  • SickstringSickstring Chicago✭✭✭
    So when you say it's not string or pitch dependent I'm thinking it happens every time a string is plucked? You're really the best one to diagnose the problem since your the one holding the guitar so I would try to get your ear up close to where you think it is coming from. I guess a bulge in the top could indicate a loose brace or something of that nature but this sounds more metallic to me. Do you have a pickup installed? If you can generate the noise without fretting any notes perhaps you can reach back and mute the strings behind the bridge to see if it stops, and if so, start muting individual strings until it stops again. I had a Gitane a while back that made a similar noise and I had to put some felt under the tailpiece - looks like you've already got that, though. Even so, you may want to start feeling around back behind the bridge while the noise is happening to see if you can tell where it's coming from.

Don't discount the headstock, though. Those types of noises have a way of traveling through the guitar making you think they're coming from somewhere they're not. Could be a loose tuner button, screw, or even excess string at the tuning post vibrating.

You did mention it went away the last time you picked up the guitar but if it returns I hope you can track it down. Then we'll have to try to figure out how to stop it!

Hope this helps a bit and Good luck,

Scott
  • DjuriDjuri New
    edited March 2013 Posts: 31
    Might be a loose truss rod in the neck? Shake the guitar, listen to the neck if it makes any rattle
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Being that you're in Colorado my guess is that the dry climate there caused the truss rode bore to expand which would allow the truss rod to rattle around inside. Have you been keeping the guitar humidified at 50% or better?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    When you say a bulge do you mean a bulge inwards or out?
    The bulge is outward. Here is the story- I have a good soundhole humidifier. It was bulging and a moustache piece popped off so I took it out of the sound hole and kept it in the case. The bulging went down and the rattle started. I put the humidifier back in the sound hole and now the rattle is gone. If the bulging isn't a problem I'll just keep the humidifier in and problem solved.