DjangoBooks.com

"Roses of Picardy"

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited February 2013 in Repertoire Posts: 1,855
I ocasionally play this tune with a dixieland band I sub for. Apparently it's originally a WWI-era French song? Anyway, it's pretty, and it swings and I like it.

The guys I know play it in Bb, with changes I remember as follows:

Cm7 F7 Bb % Cm7 F7 Bb D7

G7 % Cm % C7 % F7 %

That's just the first 16 bars, I'm not too sure of the rest of the song.

Does anybody know this tune and have the complete set of chords?

(I'm guessing that perhaps GJ players don't play this in Bb? So whatever is the standard GJ key is fine.)

Thanks,

Will
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Hey Will

Can't help much with the chords.

However, Last night while youtubeing I came across a great Gypsy Jazz Playlist that had

Tchavolo schmitt doing "Roses of picardy" I Love that man's playing & spirit.

May like to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlBiHTvG2Sg

Many, Many great tune in his page. Mariisintii 134 tunes

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mariisintii?feature=watch

Enjoy pickitjohn
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Here's chart. I haven't played the song a lot, but it seemed to work okay. Nice song.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Here is our chart in the key of G, which seems to be pretty much the gypsy "standard" key.

This is a beautiful tune from World War I. It has been said that British troops sang this on the march.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    One of my favorite tunes learned six years ago transcribed off the "Loucha" cd by Tchavalo Schmitt in Key of G. Ben's chart I think is the better foundation but of course Tchavalo in his special style has more passing chord movement within the melody! A very good cd by the way!
    ......Rocky
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, guys, for your help with the music grille and YouTube links!

For anyone out there who hasn't tried this tune, check it out, it is one of those "good old good ones" in the delightful words of Louis Armstrong.

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Cool one, thanks!
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    ........Roses of Picardy is a great "March" rhythm that sets a solid foundation for solo instruments. Tchavalo's version has traditional chord voice movements from basic progressions. A few chord pointers I will make here are of course related to the phrasing and accent notes related to Tchavalo's take on this tune!
    .......Refer to Ben's (klaatu) chart PDF above in Key of G.
    .......Third measure 3rd beat is an Am, then Bbo7 to finish measure. 1st two beats of next measure is G6 with the third in the bass on low E string at 7th fret (3 notes, no B string) then 2 beats of Bbo7 to finish measure.
    ,,,,,,,Measure 7 and 8 are the key to Tchavalo's heavy hand downbeat style. Measure 7 has half a measure of G6/9 then a half measure of C#o7(middle four strings) then back to G6/9 for two beats of nest measure. NOW BEAT 3 is the long form G (3rd in bass @ 7th fret incl. B string G note, then ONE BEAT to finish the measure of a B7 chord with B string F note as highest tone. The next beat is the E7 chord starting the next measure.
    ......Hope this is informative for those of you who love this gypsy march rhythm!
    ......Jam on! Rocky