DjangoBooks.com

It's a newborn newbie!

kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
edited November 2012 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 178
Hi,

I just want to introduce myself. After 35 years of 'rockin' I've seen, or rather heard 'the light'! I can't stop listening to Jazz Manouche.

What kind of magic music is this? I find the music so refreshing and exciting.

Based on what I have read I ordered Denis Chan's DVDs and have also purchased 'Gypsy Rhythm' from this bookstore.

I hope it's not too late to start, being almost 50. My goal is to be able to perform in the next couple of years and spread this music. It's what the world needs, in my humble opinion.

I'm going to be playing on a Joe Pass's Signature Epiphone guitar:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archto ... or-II.aspx

Is this guitar acceptable to play this genre or should I try to get an actual guitar (Selmer?).

This forum is a great resource! Thank you.

Comments

• hanear21hanear21
    I have a regular Epiphone emperor and although you'll never quite get that signature gypsy sound with that kind of guitar, I see Frank Vignola use that style of guitar all the time and he sounds great. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24NtNtcfmO4

That said I do personally prefer an acoustic guitar.

And welcome! I'm fairly new around here myself :D
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    If it's good enough for Ninine...

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Play what you have for now, but add one book to your collection: Gypsy Picking, which is essential unless you have a teacher of this style in your area. You'll know when and if you decide to get serious and get a gypsy jazz guitar. Lots of gypsies play electrics, including Django's grandson, David, and those Joe Pass Epis are really nice guitars. I much prefer the acoustic sound, but I learned "Minor Swing" on a Les Paul before I even knew gypsy guitars existed. You'll know when the time is right to switch. Until then, just have fun!

And welcome to our little world.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I hope it's not too late to start, being almost 50. /quote]

51 here, kevor, and outside of a short bit around 2008, I only came back to playing this last winter, after 35+ years completely away from playing. I'd say, you're way ahead of the game....and you've got the other half of your life to perfect this beautiful sound. Good luck, friend.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Never too late! Have fun!
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    hanear21 wrote:
    I have a regular Epiphone emperor and although you'll never quite get that signature gypsy sound with that kind of guitar, I see Frank Vignola use that style of guitar all the time and he sounds great. Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24NtNtcfmO4

That said I do personally prefer an acoustic guitar.

And welcome! I'm fairly new around here myself :D

That's a great clip. I hear what you mean. I kinda hear a 'Pat Metheny' tone with Frank's guitar. I agree the acoustic is more authentic to that Parisian club vibe. Lots more texture when you are working the sound out of the acoustic dynamic; strings, body etc. I also have an acoustic and a classical but they are kinda sub-par instruments. I don't wanna fight to get the music out.
    Cuimean wrote:
    If it's good enough for Ninine...

Oh yeah, that sounds great. I'm confident that I can pull of this style with my epi. I know how important it is to have the proper tool for the job and I wanted to start on the right track. Thanks!
    Play what you have for now, but add one book to your collection: Gypsy Picking, which is essential unless you have a teacher of this style in your area. You'll know when and if you decide to get serious and get a gypsy jazz guitar. Lots of gypsies play electrics, including Django's grandson, David, and those Joe Pass Epis are really nice guitars. I much prefer the acoustic sound, but I learned "Minor Swing" on a Les Paul before I even knew gypsy guitars existed. You'll know when the time is right to switch. Until then, just have fun!

And welcome to our little world.

I'm ordering it now. Thanks for the advice. Wow, I can get it signed by the author too... now that's special :D

I find these resources to be quite a bargain. My last teacher about 10 years ago was hitting me up for $60/hr! I'll try to find a teacher in Winnipeg. I just bought Main Stage 2 going on my Mac so that will be my band for the time being. I'm sure there are backing tracks out there for doing either rhythm or solo work.

Keep it coming...
    I hope it's not too late to start, being almost 50. /quote]

51 here, kevor, and outside of a short bit around 2008, I only came back to playing this last winter, after 35+ years completely away from playing. I'd say, you're way ahead of the game....and you've got the other half of your life to perfect this beautiful sound. Good luck, friend.

Thanks for the hearty greeting! Good to know that I'm in good company. The fastest growing age segment in North America is 90 year olds so we're just kids (again lol).

I've been doing session work here and there for just over 10 years, and aside from the $$, and if the music director gives me a composition credit on the score which gives a bit more, it's totally unsatisfying musically. I'm glad that I can't make a full time living off it. So, I can use my day job as incubation time and hit the fretboard with vigor and enthusiasm.

This Jazz Manouche gives me no listening fatigue whatsoever. Some of my friends I know are scratching their heads at my infatuation with it. This to me is spiritual or transcendental music. I just ordered Django's biography written by Charles Delaunay. There's gotta be a way into his playing through his angle in life.
  • When I was young I played the grooves off a django double lp. I still listen a lot to his stuff. I have read most of the books, delauney dregni etc. i think that I understand more about django from listening than reading.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed