DjangoBooks.com

A Small, Lightweight, GJ Travel/Backpack Guitar??

My wife and I are slowly making plans for a 6 month trip to southeast asia, India, and wherever the train/boat/plane takes us. I can't bear the idea of not taking a GJ guitar but also do not want to lug around anything heavier/larger than absolutely necessary. I have a Martin Backpacker guitar from past days of doing more finger style stuff but it is tough to play GJ as there is no place to rest your right arm. Any ideas of something that is small enough to be able to strap to a backpack, cheap enough to risk theft or damage, and sounds nice enough to enjoy, (and maybe even loud enough to play with others). I know it is a lot to ask of an instrument, but any ideas???

Comments

• noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    sorry, no ideas - i don´t know of any backpacker GJ guitar, maybe one of the "in the know" folks could chime in.

but remember, you could always try to spot a dealer there and order a cheap (like a cigano) GJ to pick up when you get there. even if you´re lucky not to get mugged the weather will be severe to your guitar (high moisture and heat), so probably a laminated top guitar is in order? - definitely not a eimers small guitar... :D anyway, i would take the backpacker with me.

bon voyage,
    miguel.

edited for typo.
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    I agree with Miguel, if you can get a good deal on a cigano and get yourself a nice fitting lightweight case...... I travelled for 3 months in this area and it is quite easy to travel around and an instrument won't get as bashed as you think. 6 months is a long time without a guitar and it will also be a bit of entertainment for yourselves in the evening as not a lot if guesthouses, hotels have guitars knocking about. Enjoy your trip, I am jealous!
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • lezardlezard IrelandNew
    You could try and get your hands on a plastic Maccaferri maccaferri_plastic_guitar.jpg
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    TIM - you might look for a travel guitar with removable wings or a parlor guitar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aria-Sinsonido- ... 1e720cf477

I've been wrestling with the same question for years and now use both options.
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Hi TimW, you are throwing the kitchen sink at this with your nitpicky requests. :lol: I'd tell you to grab something while you are there to play and enjoy or take your martin backpacker and work with it while you have it - much better than nothing isn't it? Or even grab that Aria above.

If you find something "nice" you like out there, trade the backpacker or Aria for it. Some crazy cool instruments in that area. You may find something you could never imagine right now in front of your computer.

I have a traveler guitar which is quite nice.
    http://www.travelerguitar.com/products/acousticelectric/escape-series/
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    How about an Eimers Mini Mac? At €1660, it's definitely not "cheap enough to risk theft or damage", but it looks pretty cool!

[EDIT: I see Noodlenot beat me to it in mentioning the Mini.]