DjangoBooks.com

The plot thickens...7th chords in a minor key ! Holy C$%P

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
These dominant 7th chord phrases in a minor key are pretty epic ! Learning these is like playing that old kids game "memory". They're are tougher too because he has you getting your fingers out of position more than usual. It's funny though, the more complicated ones seem to end up being my favorites once I get them.
I'm trying to take it measure at a time, then put 2 measures together and so on...(of course quite a few rounds of super slow speed run throughs help too).

The more I get into this book, the more I think it's really far and away the best book out there for phrasing. I feel like these phrases carry so many ideas in them. I tell my students to "noodle" over their pentatonic scale to come up with licks for rock soloing...
These phrases are noodle-icious.! So many licks and riff possibilities in them.

Exciting times !

See you in Northampton !

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Which complicated ones are your favorites?
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Bones wrote:
    Which complicated ones are your favorites?

Pretty much across the board I'm enjoying the Form 5 (D shape) forms. I like them because they're a nice bridge on the fretboard between your E shape and your C shape.
    I've found them to be the most initially strange to my fingers, but eventually interesting and full of possibilities. I specifically like the regular dominant 7th phrase in form 5.

In the 7th chords in a minor key, I'm intrigued by form 1 phrase. I love how he SEEMS to take you several frets out of the original position, but next thing you know.... you end where you started !

Anyway, lots of practice to be done... clock is ticking and DIJ is right around the corner.
  • go go go ...lol "ml8 ml8 for a very important date" White Rabbit :lol:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed