DjangoBooks.com

Transcribing Django - higher frets, lower strings, or...

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Technique Posts: 1,471
Hi All -

Not sure where to put this. I'm giving a first real attempt to transcribing, and starting with Minor Swing. I find myself a good part of the time up on the higher frets and lower strings - 12-14, for example, on part of the solo. Based on a sheet I got from long ago, it seems I've at least got the notes right (only going to this sheet, which includes Django's and Stephane's solos, as a confirmation). Just an example, but for a very small section, I'm hitting (B string) 13 12 (G string) 14 (B string) 12 (G string) 14 13 (B string) 12.

The "bought" transcription shows high E only, 8 7 5 7 5 4 7.

I recognize the latter pattern from Michael's book, and am almost sure the second is "right" - a function of Django's disability, his predilection for horizontal notes, even if it's a lot of leaping horizontally across frets at times, and consequently the timbre of his music. (Echoes of Michael's Picking Pattern 8, "false fingering" as well - same notes, different timbres).

Is this right? I should be trying what I can to emphasize 2 finger playing, and horizontal choices, as much as possible?

Sorry if this is unclear; just trying to be on the right track from the start. Thanks.

Paul
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
gabalbass