DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

AndhiP youlovestook AurelInTaunus

'Moustache' dropped off

Jez TanJez Tan SingaporeNew
edited February 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 39
I hav a Gitane DG-255, and unfortunately, the moustache bridge (the non-movable part) dropped off, any suggestions on adhensive that is suitable for such repair? It was an almost clean drop off, think i hit on the guitar too hard when the mic i was using kept feedbacking! Thanks in advance for any tips!
Tough time doesn't last, tough man does. Practice!

Comments

• SoulShadeSoulShade NW Ohio, USANew
    If your interested in what might be the best for that application, and many other great guitar resources, check out www.stewmac.com, and go to their Free Information section.
    I would recommend Titebond glue with a good clamping system if their is no finish under the moustache, or a good brand Super Glue if there is. (Loc-Tite Super Glue etc.) It only takes a little amount!
    If you doubt whether you want to do it, take it to someone you trust. I hope this is helpful. -s
  • drollingdrolling New
    When I recieved my 250M, one of the moustaches was rattling around in the cardboard box. After calling my luthier for instructions, I stuck it back on myself w/5 minute epoxy. Use the outline of residue from the original glue to help w/exact positioning.

I didn't use a clamp, but applied a tiny bead of glue to the underside of the moustache and pressed it into place w/my fingers.

A couple of years later, it's still hanging in.
  • Jez TanJez Tan SingaporeNew
    Thank you guys for e answer! Think i will have to go get some glue and stick that piece of wood back! Thanks again!
    Tough time doesn't last, tough man does. Practice!
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I´d be very careful doing that. Unless you really know what you are doing,
    just bring it to a good luthier.
    BTW, On the Bireli DVD I noticed that Tchavolo´s guitar is missing one of the whiskers too.
  • Hot Strings Guitar ShopHot Strings Guitar Shop Milford, Connecticut USANew
    As a Gitane dealer, I see these fall of from time to time. The Tite-bond hide glue is a bad idea, as often the moustache is glued to the finish and Tite-bond needs to be applied to the wood grain itself. Store bought super glue also is iffy. The bottle of industrial super glue that is available from the Stew-Mac website will glue anything to anything. Be careful not to get this stuff on your fingers. It only requires a small drop of glue to get it back on, so use this stuff sparingly.

Jamie