DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

FTerry jvillafl

Electric Bass in Gypsy Jazz??

jonpowljonpowl Santa Cruz, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Cigano GJ-10
edited November 2013 in Bass Posts: 540
I know this might be sacrilege, but I'm wondering how working GJ performers think about electric bass instead of stand-up bass. It sure would be easier to lug around a Fender P-bass than a double bass, even with a small amp. Plus, since I play bass, I might get to jam with better players sooner than I would on guitar. I'm betting that if Jaco Pastorius asked to sit in with the Rosenbergs with his Jazz bass, they would probably have loved it.

Comments

• swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    Yeah, the Rosenbergs probably would - that horrible funk thing they play (see splash video at the rosenbergacademy.com welome page) shows that even the greatest can't always escape the dreaded lure of dad-rock & its subgenres.

Having said that, our bass-player has already made that jump - not to a Fender Precision, but to an electric upright. Thanks to its minimal body size, it's easy to lug about and has a retractable stand so you can rehearse sitting down if that's more comfortable.

Tone wise I can't see straight electric bass working here. Part of what you want in the bass sound in this genre is a thump that's felt as much as heard - electric basses have way too much sustain to get this (though there's always sticking some foam under the strings at the bridge as a compromise).
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
  • Wim GlennWim Glenn oƃɐɔᴉɥƆModerator 503
    No. Just no. It sounds bad and wrong. If I booked a bassist for a Django style gig and the guy showed up with an electric I would never book that guy again, I'd delete his number from my phone and then I'd burn my phone and flush the ash down the toilet.
  • jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    swing68 wrote:
    Yeah, the Rosenbergs probably would - that horrible funk thing they play (see splash video at the rosenbergacademy.com welome page) shows that even the greatest can't always escape the dreaded lure of dad-rock & its subgenres.

Having said that, our bass-player has already made that jump - not to a Fender Precision, but to an electric upright. Thanks to its minimal body size, it's easy to lug about and has a retractable stand so you can rehearse sitting down if that's more comfortable.

Tone wise I can't see straight electric bass working here. Part of what you want in the bass sound in this genre is a thump that's felt as much as heard - electric basses have way too much sustain to get this (though there's always sticking some foam under the strings at the bridge as a compromise).

I assume this post is about playing on solid or semi-solid electric bass guitars. I've heard fairly convincing tones from those upright sticks, even some acoustic bass guitars amplified.

I would think the big decision here is first, the style and training of the bass player, and second, whether it a fretless bass. I've heard great woody tones from certain fretless electrics. But, yeah, a slap funk style on a Fender fretted may not work.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Didn't Louis Vola use an electric hollowbody bass guitar with a Stimer pick up in his later years? :D
  • Isn't that Bireli on that tune?
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Musicalia, Bucolo et. al.
    I'm not a bassist , but I'd like to hear how close to a double-bass you can get with [say] an acoustic fretless bass guitar .-
    also, I know Alan / crookedpinkie was talking about an "acoustic bass simulator" Fx pedal - not sure what that would do to help get the D.B. sound
    -A-
    |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
    /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
    |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\
    '---''(_/--' (_/-'
  • jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    Here is an example of a U Bass. A discerning ear can hear a slight difference over a true acoustic bass, but I'd have no issue with this instrument in the hands of a good bassist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ge6k5S_PBE
  • Ashbory bass....closest thingt here is to ana coustic bass...IMO in the right hands sounds better than some acoustic basses when they are amplified :shock:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Just came across this and had to think about the topic.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCB0zUnlVFg
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    What about electric bass guitar, street dancers, bossa rhythm and graffiti painting? Everything is possible if you do it well: http://youtu.be/vsz55WbWK6c