DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Amplification/Pickup System Overview

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Speaking of the Ischell - can anyone tell me, is that an Ischell that Samy Daussat is using in the DVD, Tchavolo, Live in Paris?
    I haven't watched the entire DVD looking specifically for that, and the camera doesn't focus on Samy much, but it does not appear to be an Ischell, which would be clearly visible just to the right of the bridge (as you look from the audience side). More likely it is some sort of bridge or under bridge pickup.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    OK, thanks, Ben.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hi all,
    Is the Ischell as loud as a Bigtone? I need a new pickup for very loud gigs...
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Hi all,
    Is the Ischell as loud as a Bigtone? I need a new pickup for very loud gigs...
    Enrique, it's not so much a question of which one is louder - what you want to know is how loud can they go before feedback. I can't do an A/B comparison, not having anything with a Bigtone, but I suspect the Bigtone will be more feedback resistant at high volume. However, most Bigtones require a more or less permanent installation which includes drilling a hole in the top, although there are a couple of models where you plug a cable into the removable bridge/Bigtone. The Ischell is non-invasive. If you want something for really loud environments, the Peche a la mouche is hard to beat, although you have to settle for a pretty electric sound. The new Krivo pickup is less electric sounding.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thanks Klaatu,
    Yeah I meant gain before feedback...
    I've been thinking about getting either an external BT or the Ischell...
    Want an acoustic sound but the AT pro70 didn't work at all

I rather avoid the electric route but don't want to spend $400 and end up with something I can't use so I'm also considering the Krivo bucker or Peche a la mouche as a last resort.

Had some feedback troubles lately... sometimes I just bring an archtop and it's fine but it's just not the same
    Thought the Ischell might be the answer
    We've had very good luck with the Ischells, but there was one gig where we wished we had Peches or something similar.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • swingnationswingnation ✭✭
    Thanks Klaatu,
    Yeah I meant gain before feedback...
    I've been thinking about getting either an external BT or the Ischell... Thought the Ischell might be the answer

You won't be disappointed with Ischell. I couple mine with LR Baggs Para DI for extra no-feed back assurance. Haven't had a problem yet and we play at big concrete-walled biergartens, out door festivals/venues, Irish bars, etc. Wrembel liked mine so much, he went out and got sponsered by him. And he plays with a drummer so should be definitely loud enough to cover your needs
  • Ischell is my primary choice. Once I found a good place to set it up and figured out how to dial it in, I have been very happy.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Limited experience, but a third plus vote for the Ischell. I, too, use an LR Baggs Para DI, and in a pretty lousy acoustics/noisy environment, very pleased with the sound.

And on Stephane Wrembel, let me also add - wow, drummer indeed, first time I'd heard them together, our Winter GJ Fest. Stephane's set blew me away, and I confirm he's got the Ischell in that sweet spot.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BernieBernie France Gitane DG 300 J.Jorgensen
    I did not see the Ischell in Michael Horowitz's review of mikes & pickups. Where does it stands for ? Is it comparable to the Schertler or something different ? And how good is it compared to it ?
    Does anybody have an experience of mikes such as the AT 831b, Pro 70 or AKG C411 (and more) opposed to the Ischell or Schertler ?
    Aside of possible feedback problems, are they comparable in terms of sound quality ?
    Bernie.