DjangoBooks.com

Major Lick + Dinette

MaxwellGarcesMaxwellGarces Laguna Niguel, CA.✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 122
Hello all. i hope everyone is doing well in the world of gypsy jazz and beyond. i posted a new lick in Gmaj, and an improvised solo over Dinette.

I hope you enjoy.

-Maxwell

http://www.youtube.com/user/totsmarkopo ... Ll2IoYgf5M

http://www.youtube.com/user/totsmarkopo ... 5VjBW17_SM

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Nice lick, Maxwell. I guess I'm dumb or something, because the idea of playing basically the same pattern on three different pairs of strings, like you did in this example, somehow never occured to me... duh.

Normally, I just think of the chord tones in different areas of the fingerboard... is the "three pairs" concept one that you frequently use, or did it just happen accidentally in this case?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • MaxwellGarcesMaxwellGarces Laguna Niguel, CA.✭✭✭
    thank you for the comment Mr. Lango-Django! i do like to use the repeated pattern frequently in my playing. you can do a six note run playing 3 on the low E the next three on the A, then jump to the octave position and play the same sequence of 6 notes on the D and G then again, jump to the next octave position and play those same 6 notes on the B and high E.

even though you are playing the same exact 6 notes three times, since you are going up in register it creates movement that begs resolution. just think of it like diminished, how it just keeps going. its up to you to find the right place to resolve the run. and thats what makes it fun.

this type of pattern playing i learned from listening to joe pass and also steve howe of Yes.

i hope you find this useful in your playing!

-Maxwell
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    this type of pattern playing i learned from listening to joe pass and also steve howe of Yes.
    i hope you find this useful in your playing!

Well, thanks, Maxwell, I imagine I probably will spend some time trying to get something out of this approach, even though names like Joe Pass and Steve Howe may not inspire enthusiasm from many of our brethren here :mrgreen:

I'm the kind of desperate character that, while truly preferring to steal musical gold from Django the King, is not above stealing stuff from the lower nobility such as Joe Pass and Steve Howe, especially if it what I like to call "low hanging fruit"...

Have you ever thought of doing a YouTube "three pairs of strings for dummies" kind of guitar lesson?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • MaxwellGarcesMaxwellGarces Laguna Niguel, CA.✭✭✭
    no i havent, but i may have to now!