DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

Bill Da Costa Williams cole7112 HobbittBass Hardaker Luboš

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

"Practicing" by Glenn Kurtz

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Welcome
Hey all, not sure where to put this. I've enjoyed reading this book. A former classical prodigy returns to playing after swearing off his instrument for 10 years. He's a stellar writer (PhD in comparative lit from Stanford; doesn't make you a writer, but he's a contemplative fellow with a gift for narrative, in my opinion).

Among other gems, wasn't aware previously of Segovia's daily routine. 5 hours, no more, broken up into 1.25 hour slots of focused practice (the book, "The Talent Code" - highly recommend as well; "deep practice" as one of the cornerstones of myelinization - i.e., developing skill). In between these "chunks" of deep practice, life as usual with friends, exercise, etc. I'm aware most don't have this kind of free time, but I think it's useful nonetheless. For me, it's 1.25 (x2) of Christiaan/Nous'che's rhythm course and any new songs (accompaniment); 1.25 on soloing (right now, RA), 1.25 on waltzes. Various "intruders" (of my doing) have made that good intention a bit of a mockery lately, but looking forward to returning to a regular, consciously designed, routine.
pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments