DjangoBooks.com

"Practicing" by Glenn Kurtz

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Welcome Posts: 1,471
Hey all, not sure where to put this. I've enjoyed reading this book. A former classical prodigy returns to playing after swearing off his instrument for 10 years. He's a stellar writer (PhD in comparative lit from Stanford; doesn't make you a writer, but he's a contemplative fellow with a gift for narrative, in my opinion).

Among other gems, wasn't aware previously of Segovia's daily routine. 5 hours, no more, broken up into 1.25 hour slots of focused practice (the book, "The Talent Code" - highly recommend as well; "deep practice" as one of the cornerstones of myelinization - i.e., developing skill). In between these "chunks" of deep practice, life as usual with friends, exercise, etc. I'm aware most don't have this kind of free time, but I think it's useful nonetheless. For me, it's 1.25 (x2) of Christiaan/Nous'che's rhythm course and any new songs (accompaniment); 1.25 on soloing (right now, RA), 1.25 on waltzes. Various "intruders" (of my doing) have made that good intention a bit of a mockery lately, but looking forward to returning to a regular, consciously designed, routine.
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

Oh yeah, read that a few years ago.
    Loved it, I'll have to pick it up again soon.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Depends on what you consider or don't consider as practice.

You have a link for that YouTube stuff? I'd like to see it.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I enjoyed the book quite a bit, and could relate to it....not that I was ever a music conservatory prodigy, lol, but I've certainly pursued things with a hunger that can slide so easily from "drive" to "choking obsession," so found the book, almost spiritually, helpful. Timely exchange with another player I respect a good deal....talking of a dispassionate, dis-attachment, with "problems" just to be attended to, as a skilled tinkerer might approach his trade. Another guy worked in a similar way, I've heard. :D

Interesting clip between Yehudi and Stephane - if memory serves, that's included in the Stephane doc., "Life in the Jazz Century," yes?
    -Paul

• Yes it is.

At 5 hours a day, if you keep this up Paul, you ate gping to get seriuosly proficient :mrgreen:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    The way he's holding that Wegen pick -- must be a lefty... :P AE
    :D

Man, do NOT mention the word "Pick."
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    At 5 hours a day, if you keep this up Paul, you ate gping to get seriuosly proficient

I think at 5 hours a day, given my obsessive tendencies, I'll have a great sounding "ii" of a C ii-V-I, in about a year and a half. "Smith, yep, beautiful Dm7. Too bad everything else sucks."
    -Paul

Hahaha, if there's a picture with pinched fingers Ed will see a Wegen in it.
    That's too fuuny man.

Which model you see this guy using?
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Buco wrote:
    Hahaha, Which model you see this guy using?

A special picture like this deserves a special "plectrum".

Here's an "natural" Wegen pick made from South African buffalo horn rather than his usual magical material. Lefty, of course... AE
    edited May 2013 Posts: 1,471
    Eddy, you're almost like "Kilroy was Here." I expect to see little plectrum sightings at various fenceposts, hedges and stop signs, now. :D

Is that Wegen a custom? Do you play it? I like it's shape.
    -Paul

A special picture like this deserves a special "plectrum".

Here's an "natural" Wegen pick made from South African buffalo horn rather than his usual magical material. Lefty, of course... AE

That's awesome!
    I was looking at it in my car while parked when I got home today, windows were rolled down and I laughed so loud that some people on the street turned and looked over.

"for every flavor you desire there is a Wegen"