DjangoBooks.com

Another Stupid Pick Thread

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
Title says it all. Lull before today's storm of practice, the good fortune (or misfortune) to be lolling about various miscellany concerning picks, pointy end, round lobes, holes, contours, materials and a host of other evils replacing precious practice minutes.

OK, so going to stay in Rosenberg land for the foreseeable future - Nous'che on rhythm, Stochelo on lead. (And yes, with some difficulty, I've come to acknowledge one can probably pursue lead learning, without losing the bar on continued rhythm mastery).

One pick - no setting down a pick when playing rhythm, picking up a new one when switching to lead.

One position - no (intentional) rotation, instantaneous switch up between rhythm and lead.

Wegen GJ 2.5, 3.5, 5 7.; Big City 1.8, 2; Wegen pre-worn button
Dugain acetate, with contoured sides
Dunlop gator 2
Golden Gate Mando Trimus
Dunlop Jazztone 5

I find I love the Dugain's tone on lead playing - discernibly warmer than others. But don't like it for rhythm playing - I'm accustomed to using the point of my wegen for pretty much every rhythm need - but expose the smallest nub only, something like what Stochelo describes, using his Big City 1.8, on Denis's Style DVD. I don't like the Dugain for rhythm because the contour necessarily exposes quite a bit of the pointed end of the pick. Granted, over time, one gets used to anything and I'd probably learn to adjust my RH, so the pick grazes as lightly and gracefully as I've worked with my Wegens. But that's not on the task list.

I'm not a fan of the round end of the Wegens (or any other, really). I've worked hard to play quietly, but with drive (probably, too much so...), so again use the smallest nub of the pointed end of my Wegens for both rhythm and lead practice. I find the round end is just too quiet.

I know Jay and some others are big fans of the Blue Chip picks. Probably my inexperienced ear, but when I tried one, couldn't distinguish the pick from similarly thick, rigid picks made with other, cheaper materials. Would like to try one again, down the road.

I know nothing matters except your right hand - not what's in your right hand.

Hence, a completely stupid and much asked question. :D One pick, one position - rhythm: light, dry, driving and loud enough; and lead: sweet and warm.

As they say in Lancashire, what's yours?
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Paul,

I used to use the Wegen Gypsy Jazz 3.5mm but I've switched recently to the 2.5mm Wegen GP250 which I find is better for leads (brighter/louder/lighter weight) and still fine for rhythm (but I still prefer the 3.5mm GJ for rhythm).
  • Personally I find that with. Light hand the Wegens just sound too....hmmmmm....swooshy ??? To my ear,,,,kinda like is scraping along the stings more than picking them.

I sound OK with them and probably to a less anal ear there is no diff at 5 yards :shock: but I am stuck with My custom Blue Chip 1.5 with Big City either 1.4 or 1.8 as a backup. I have a bunch of picks that I dont use that I should take to dfnw and trade for beer :mrgreen:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • hanear21hanear21
    In case you didn't know already Paul, I use a 3.5mm Wegen gypsy jazz. Mostly because I got it as a gift and haven't had to replace it yet.

If I do, I'd probably switch to one of those tagua nut picks we were shown a few weeks back. I remember it felt really great for lead, but then again I don't quite remember how it felt playing rhythm with one.
    As I said before, I myself became a fan of BlueChip.
    I use SR60, 1.5mm with very round and beveled main tip.
    Some nudging from Jay helped, although that's not what he was trying to do, but his enthusiasm for them helped to decide to fork out the $s.

I also wasn't sure at first if there was much difference, if any, to be appreciated.
    Then I submitted myself to a blind test; I was a listener and a friend ,also a gypsy jazz guitar apprentice , was going through array of picks, mostly variety of flavors from Wegen.
    I was listening and taking notes.
    In my blind test I noted the BlueChip to be the most balanced and warmest sounding one of all.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I use a guzz pick. Sounds better than the wegens, but doesn't last as long.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I'm not asleep at the wheel or anything. Posted in the thread about, er, practicing:

Hanear, we play 3' from each other. Do you not know by know there's nothing that escapes my eyes? Muwwwwwwwwwwwahahahahahha. 8)

My go-to is the 3.5 as well, really. Some time ago I grew accustomed to both the Big City and regular Dunlop, but have spent so many hours working rhythm with the point of either the 3.5 or 5 Wegen, going back to a thin pick feels very strange to me, except when practicing lead. At the end of the day, the best practice would be to close one's eyes and grab whatever's in the bowl, and make it sing.

Jay, I do understand what you mean on the "swoosh" thing, probably one of the reasons I enjoy using them on rhythm. I've not really used the Dugain much, but for strict lead playing, I like it quite a bit. Very warm, yet very clear.

I'm intrigued by the Guzz, Wim. Nice shape.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    I'm at a crossroads. Been using the Wegen BigCity 1.8mm for lead for a year now and I'm loving it! But for rhythm it seems to make the strings rattle too much. Too much noise. I'm trying to use the Stochelo method of using a smaller portion of the pick for rhythm than lead. So far I can't change the grip comfortably when transitioning, it takes some time. Also, it's odd: When going from rhythm to lead it's like my right hand wants to keep doing those bigger movements and I lose precision for some time until I've re-adjusted. I hope this is something that will go away in time and that I'm not motorically challenged LOL :lol:
  • It went away for me with practice and just noticing when it happened. Not consciously trying to change anything just noting that it was happeneng.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Amund,

Have you tried the Wegen GP250? I also tried the Big City and liked it for leads but not rhythm. The 250 (2.5mm) seems to be a good compromise. Works well for both and I don't have to shift it's position at all.