DjangoBooks.com

"French Guitar" Grille?

lezardlezard IrelandNew
edited November 2013 in Repertoire Posts: 53
Has anyone got a Grille for Romane's "French Guitar"

Fantastic tune.

Comments

• WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Love this tune, been listening to it recently and was hoping to find a chart here too...

I don't have a chart but I am pretty sure the chord progression is similar to Swing for ninine, yet it is in
    g minor,

Song form is AABA
    A part:
    Gm for 2 bars. Then Ab for two bars, then D7 (or Ebdim or Ab7b5) for 2 bars, then back to Gm for 2

B part -- not sure yet, but I think it's Cm for 2 bars, then Gm, then a perhaps Eb7 to D7 to get back to Gm

Hope this helps and cheers
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    cool tune !! i have it on le coffret jazz manouche 5 cd compilation .. but don't have the album from romane, what is the name of the album it's on so i can hear the rest of it?
  • lezardlezard IrelandNew
    @wim
    it's on the album of the same name and it's one hell of an album :)

@WowBobWow
    Thanks!.I'll give that a crack .
  • WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Hello again --

I tried figuring out the B part further, I think the first four bars are (2 bars) Eb9 or Bbdim, then 2 bars of Ab6/9, not Cm to Gm (sorry). Hope it helps and cheers
  • mcneely11mcneely11 ✭✭
    Here:

| G-6 | | A7/G | |
    | Abmaj7/G | | G-6 | Ab D7 |
    | G-6 | | A7/G | |
    | Abmaj7/G | | G-6 | |
    | Bb-6 | | F-6 | |
    | A-7b5 | | D7 | |
    | G-6 | | A7/G | |
    | Abmaj7/G | | G-6 | Ab D7 |

Edit: it didnt keep the formatting but just observe the | | as repeated bars

Edit 2: I just wrote it out in a pdf, attached
  • MusetteMusette New
    Thank you!!!! :D
  • mcneely11mcneely11 ✭✭
    No problem. If I get around to writing out the melody Ill post that as well.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Has anybody come up with a tab for this wonderful song by Romane? Thought I would give the thread a BUMP as I heard the song on Pandora and fell in love with it, already a big fan of Romane. I'm playing the A7/G like this:
    E x
    B 2
    G 2
    D 2
    A x
    E 3
    and the AbM7/G like this:
    E x
    B 1
    G 1
    D 1
    A x
    E 3
    Seemed easier than this:
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    My hand is incapable of making the prior A7/G shown. I appreciate your alternative to it and the AbM7/G. But what makes this tune particularly challenging for me is replicating the fine soft-touch rhythm playing in this recording. How does he do it? I can't seem to make it happen with a pick in hand. Romane's "French Guitar" is one of my favorite GJ albums. Very tasteful, complex compositions.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I think you need 7 fingers or two hands to make the A7/G as shown. The rhythm part of French Guitar is what drew me to the song as well. I think it requires lots of practice, soft touch and a great guitar. It reminds me of Gonzalo Bergara's style, as well as Jeff Radaich, whom has obviously been influenced by Gonzalo. I'm hoping somebody has a tab for at least the head, intro or outro, although it will be good for me to work it out on my own.