DjangoBooks.com

Cigano gj-10 sagging top issue

Greetings,
recently i've bought a used cigano gj-10. I have been trying out different string gauges, and i've noticed that with 11s the "sag" - the concave inlay under the bridge - becomes significantly bigger than with 10s, although even with 10s it is noticeable. When the guitar unstringed for a few days, the sag completely disappears. My question is, is this usual and "should i be worried"?

Cheers,
Zvonko

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    While I have no real expertise in the matter, I would get a couple of in case humidifiers and keep the guitar in the well humidified case as much as possible. I would also use Galli Silk and Steel 10s, which to me, seem to have less tension than most other strings I have tried. In fact, I prefer them with my Cigano GJ-10.
    zvone
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,741
    Zvonko, it's not unusual for the top to sink even on a fine handmade guitar. I guess sometimes they go for as light as possible with the thickness of the top and bracing in order to get the top to vibrate as free as possible. But sometimes the string downforce is too much and the top will cave in under pressure. Usually this will happen in a short period of time and then it'll settle in and won't move any more. At that point you might have to adjust the bridge and everything will be fine going forward. Also keep in mind that some of these guitars are made with a certain string gauge in mind. When Risto made my guitar he said that I should be ok with 11s but that he made it with 10s in mind (you should try to save up for one of his guitars by the way).
    If on your guitar you see it's sinking less with 10s, then just stick with that gauge. It might even sound better with 10s anyway.
    Definitely try to keep it humidified in winter months.
    zvone
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • zvonezvone New
    Thank you, gentlemen!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Def check ur humidifier. Do you live in a dry area? RH should be around 50% or so.
  • zvonezvone New
    I live in a subcontinental climate, so i guess the humidity should be pretty balanced. This "sag" was present both in the winter and now in the summertime... But i will definitely try with humidifiers, i've found that there are many reasons to do that. And i definitely want to keep my guitar alive and well :)
    Thanks again,
    love from serbia
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 3,319
    just take an old sock or small cloth, soak it with water, RING OUT THE EXCESS WATER-NO DRIPPING, and put it in a plastic bag with the top open a bit so the water evaporates out. Set it inside your hard case (keep guitar in a hard case during storage) make sure that the damp sock does not touch the guitar or drip into case. It doesn't take much humidity. Close up the case and leave it overnight. Should be fine in the morning. The top should not sag. If it is not because of dryness you might have a structural issue. Can u post pictures?