DjangoBooks.com

Tons of Django solos on Soundslice

Comments

• PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    @PapsPier Thanks for all transcriptions. A few versions of songs I haven't heard before.
    Josechiky
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work!
    Josechiky
  • chimorhchimorh
    This is fantastic. Why didn't you do this 50 years ago....I coulda been a great guitarist by now! Can anyone tell me how to get the complete sheets so I can print them out?
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Hi Chimorh
    this is only a small part of what is available. I put all the info I could get on each song recorded by Django and the clarinet quintet on this website so you have lyrics, origins of the song, scores for guitar and for clarinet, the tab (which is the one visible on SOundslice), play alongs etc
    So to answer specifically you can print the scores directly from this website.
    http://djangonewquintettclarinet.wordpress.com/
  • First of all i thanks you do this for us.I know how much time it takes to transcribe and sit and watch that computer screen!
    Second i would like to see on soundslice well done Djangos transcriptions,which unfortunetelly i don't see there.You did many great parts and thats a lot,but many other parts are wrong at timing,wrong notes,wrong fingering,missing slides,bends,pull offs,trills...
    Third if there is it any way to enter into editting those soundslice tabs i would love to fix or at least to change big errors of some of them when i have free time to do so.It can really safe doubts to all of my Djangos music friends.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Man social etiquette must be a lost art. Not saying you are wrong but if you want it done right do it yourself and quit your bitching at this poor fellow who did this for free
    Bones
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    No dont worry Richter, it is not bitching! I dont take it the wrong way. I always said that these transcriptions are not. 100% accurate and that I would be more than happy to incorporate your suggestions of corrections.

I just wanted to add a few words to tell you about this project. First my goal is not to have the most accurate Django transcriptions on Soundslice. A few years ago, I started to learn clarinet because I have always been attracted by the recordings of Django and Rostaing. I took lessons with a classical teacher and after a while, I decided to join a jazz big band. It was fun but incredibly difficult because I was not really strong at sight-reading (especially the reading of rhythm). After this session, I decided to take a break from playing in bands to start transcribing the clarinet solos I loved (Anniversary song, Minor Swing, Danse norvegienne, Yeux Noirs...). So that is what I did. It was tough for me because it was the first time I was doing that kind of thing...
    I also am a member of a clarinet forum where most of the players are into classical music. And when I was in Paris, as a guitarist, I really had trouble finding amateur clarinetist who would know and want how to play the Django and clarinet sessions. Finally everybody knows Grappelli but only few people know the names of Rostaing, Meunier et Levecque and even fewer people knew how they look or what was their lives before and after the Quintette.
    So I had this idea of putting together my transcriptions of the clarinet themes and solos AND the info I had about these players on a dedicated website. Since transcritpions of DJango solos were already available (BEn Givan did tons of them, Denis Chang has some, Samy Daussat, Tim Robinson, Posglov Popoi etc.. had published some too), I contacted these guys to ask their permissions to add their transcriptions.
    Laurent Courtois (of Nuages de Swing band) gave me the authorization to share his play alongs and I recorded the ones that were missing.
    And finally Teddy Dupont, Francois Ravez, Spatzo etc. helped me to gather information about the tunes, about the musicians, about the history of the Quintet.
    With all those contributions, I felt that I had a nice tool to help people to discover the music of Django and the clarinet Quintet, to learn it with the transcriptions and to practice it with the playalongs and so I published it in 2016.

The first feedbacks from guitar players was that the tabs in the format I chose (tux guitar) were not too convenient, pdf tabs were better.
    From clarinet players, I understood that only a few players were into it and the ones into it didnt really need the transcriptions. We discussed about the use of transcriptions on the forum and I got convinced that nobody will ever use my transcriptions as if they are 100% accurate. I consider them as an help to start, after that you need to use yours ear and the recordings to get the correct transcription.
    So I keep on adding new transcriptions with that spirit in mind: Transcriptions are not 100% accurate (purposedly I didnt include any effect (bends, slides etc.)), they are just a starter. I admit that I didnt spend too much time on the fingerings (I just made sure that they were not too crazy but they are probably not the smartest choice): my focus was really on the score, not the tab.

Sometimes the proposed scores are also weird because I mixed my "poor" transcriptions of clarinet solos with the really accurate transcriptions of guitar solos from other more skilled guys.
    Since this Feb I took a little break from transcribing and started to practice more intensively the solos I transcribed. And as you said, I noticed mistakes in the notes or timings, especially in my first transcriptions (I am happy about that because it really shows my progression). Sometimes, I correct those mistakes if they are really bad, sometimes I dont because people can easily correct with the recording and it takes too much time to correct everything.

A week ago or so, Adrian and the team of Soundslice emailed the users to present new features of Soundslice. I was really impressed and started to play around with the new tools.
    It was so cool that I took the week end to put all the existing transcriptions already on the website on this new platform. It took quite some time to synchronize everything and polish it (even if all the transcriptions were already written) but I thought it was worht the time since people complained about the Tux Guitar format.
    So that is the whole story!

To summarize, my goal is not to make 100% accurate transcriptions of Django solos. My goal is to make you discover the Django recordings with the clarinet quintet. I will keep on transcribing with the same philosophy: the transcriptions are only a little starter to help you remember the solo you learned previously by working with your ears on the recordings (and not working with your eyes on the transcriptions).

But if there are clear mistakes you want me to correct, I would be happy to do so.

Thank you all for your support.

Pierre

PS> I want to finish the transcriptions of 1947 and 1948 but I also want to get back in bands and play with people. I am not a professional musician, I do this in my spare time and dont get any rewards for sharing my transcriptions (except your kind comments :)) so it might take some time before you see the new transcriptions.

The complete website

PetrovBucopickitjohnbillyshakeslewischang88
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    And something else I forgot to add is that the youtube clips of the tunes I used for Soundslice of from the website papabecker.com. I choose them because they seem to never be kicked out of youtube for copyright or whatever reasons. But I noticed that (maybe to avoid being caught) most of the recordings have been edited: a few bars have been removed in the middle of the tunes.
    So if you base your transcriptions on these recordings, it will appear as if the timing of my transcriptions are actually wrong.
  • Sorry Ritchie,but you are bitching.And you are wrong.I had actually appreciate those tabs and I give thanks twice.If I can't offer my help for free what else you fucking want?

• Thanks PapsPier looks you understand to my coment better.All of us who ever did transcribe others solos knows how much time and concentration it envolves.Mistakes happen from different reasons also from tiredness.
    To do 100% Djangos solos tabs is I would say impossible.At least I am not able do so.But if more of us give a support and help to well transcribe it ,so all of us have already precised tabs for study.