DjangoBooks.com

My first Selmer/Mac Style guitar. A little help please?

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @TexasRed
    Welcome and good talking Congratulations Wish you the Best!
    May your Guitar kindle the Fire & Love of this Style.
    When it arrives Lets Pick if I can help in anyway just ask.
  • Good call on the Nomade and nice price! You'll love it!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    That's a very good price on the Nomade, congrats.

You didn't mention whether it's a D or oval hole. One difference that I don't think anyone mentioned is the D hole generally gives more feedback to the player, whereas the oval tends to focus the sound forward. To the listener, it doesn't make a lot of difference, if you're comparing guitars by the same builder - the scale is probably a bigger factor. Cheap D holes tend to be muddy; one from a high-end builder like a Dupont won't be.

14 fret D holes come in all sorts of scale lengths. Also, it seems that people coming from a flattop background prefer the D hole, at least at first.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • TexasRedTexasRed South Texas, San Antonio✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    edited February 2015 Posts: 22
    Got my nomade in yesterday and love it. Definitely has a very dry tone to it. I'm already having a lot fun playing leads to the beginner backing tracks from dcmusicschool. And the John Jorgensen beginner book really helped with that.

Still gotta work on my rythym skills (well i gotta work on everything really) but I feel like I'm getting closer to the right sound now that I have the right guitar.

Thanks everyone!
    MichaelHorowitzpickitjohnNoneJazzaferriBucorgrice
  • Congrats
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Pompe_ojisanPompe_ojisan Tokyo✭✭ Rino van Hooijdonk
    Congrats!
    My first GJ guitar was a Nomad too, and I still have it today. That was 10 years ago, but I remember clearly the shock I got when somebody played it in front of me for the first time (Best things about the Nomades is that they make you happy twice - the first time when you get it, and the second time when you get your next guitar ;)
    Joking aside, if you work on your chops, you can get some very serious rhythm sound out of it. I think solo is more difficult, because the sound is usually a bit thin and harsh, but rhythm, oh man, if you can tame the beast it can really kick ass. You mention the 'dry' sound, I think that's exactly why you can get such a crisp pompe with it.
    Speaking of that, I'm using the Wegen gypsy jazz 3.5 mm. I'd like to try one of the many picks Michael has here, what's a pick that will give me a slightly warmer sound?
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Try the Djangojazz faux tortoise!
  • If you can get over the sticker shock the blue chip is very quiet and if using a rounder tip profile warmer sound.

Picks in general....sharp tip profile gives crisper sharper attack.....rounder tip profiles give fuller more balanced sound ...doesnt have the crisp attack of a sharp tip.

Finding the right pick for the sound you want to get is part of the process. It can take a while and as one's abilities and ears change, what one wants from a pick will change.
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    I do have a nice blue chip. An XR50 that I use for mandolin. Despite it being thinner than the Wegen it does sound warmer. It is rounded but has a slight bevel which is ideal for me I think. But I wish it was thicker. They don't offer the xr any thicker than 60.

If I could find something like the xr but closer to 2.5 or 3.5 that would be great