DjangoBooks.com

Need help with tech rider - super frustrated

2»

Comments

• kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I have often heard people complain about music being too loud, but never have I heard anyone complain about it being too clear.
    Any uneducated dope (like myself) can simply throw volume at a situation, but someone getting paid to act as a sound engineer should be able to do better.
  • Matt MitchellMatt Mitchell ✭✭✭
    Many sound guys are only into rock as listeners.
    That can mean an ignorance of what jazz is but can also mean they have a bias against jazz.
    They'll give you half-ass sound because they don't like your music - very unprofessional.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    I was thinking I might start doing that. It is getting really frustrating. When I play with Joscho we've had similar situations but he has a real forceful personality and a name to back it up so he gets what he wants in the end. I feel unless I get something real strongly written into the contract riders I will never get the sound I need. I just don't know quite how to put it that doesn't come across as being a diva/jerk.

Of course, you don't want to sound like a diva, but at the same time, if they feel that you are too shy, they will see it and will get their way. Don't let that happen! It's very psychological, but if you act like you know what you really want, you're less likely to encounter BS from them!

One of the recent gigs I did was great, the sound engineers cooperated with us, and we got what we wanted.. just mics in front of every instrument, no monitoring whatsoever! I love it!

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    I think if I put the "don't mess with the faders" clause that might help. We just did a show where I'd tell them to turn down the bass and they would and then slowly creep it right back up as we were playing.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,231
    Kudos on including the chairs with no arms. I sat on a Fender Twin Reverb last week. And no, I do not want to use the Twin because it would make your life easier.
    I saw this one from GBQ a few months back. Not as detailed as Denis's rider, but it certainly helps. http://www.gonzalobergara.com/promo/download/GBQ_Stage_Plot.pdf