DjangoBooks.com

CD vs Vinyl

AhabAhab GB✭✭
edited October 2011 in History Posts: 88
Hey,

Just thought I'd share some thoughts on a recording by Django that I heard a couple of days ago. I was round at a friends house and he had an LP which had some of the Rome sessions on it. It was the first time I'd listened to Django on vinyl, and what a difference!!!!

As a relative youngster, I listen to Django's recordings through mp3 (terrible compression) or CD format, when I was a kid my father had a couple of Django collections on cassette which I listened to religiously, but as I said, this was my first opportunity to listen to any recordings on vinyl. His Selmer sounds so warm and lush, and the way the sound sort of breaks up when he increases his attack is very noticeable, and all the tonal subtleties of his guitar became far more apparent.

If there are any newcomers to Django Reinhardt out there who have only listened to digital copies of his recordings, I strongly urge you to get some vinyl recordings, you'll feel like you getting much more intimate experience of his genius.

Comments