DjangoBooks.com

"Happy Together," Brady Winterstein

adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
edited October 2011 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 545
Hey everybody, just wanted to spread that word that there's a new "modern style" gypsy jazz album out by Brady Winterstein. It's called "Happy Together." I bought the MP3s from Amazon but noticed it's on Spotify and iTunes as well. (BTW, you can listen to the whole thing for free on Spotify.)

I'm just now giving it my first listen, but it's pretty good. Nice selection of non-cliched tunes like "Lady Madonna" by the Beatles, "Happy Together" by the Turtles and "Solitude" by Duke Ellington. And Adrien Moignard guests on two tracks!

Here's the Django Station review, if you read French: http://www.djangostation.com/Happy-Together,1450.html

Definitely worth a listen if you like the modern, "Selmer 607" sound.

Adrian

Comments

• rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Oh this sounds amazing..
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Wow! Spotify is quite cool. Thanks for the tip Adrian.
    Digging this album so far. 8)
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 1,855
    A loose translation from the Djangostation website...

Will

The latest in a series of gypsy guitarists still wearing short pants--- it's Brady Winterstein: 17 years old, has all his fingers, is originally from Forbach in Lorraine, is the nephew of the famous Hono Winterstain, was first discovered as a member of the Winterstien Trio at Samois 2010, to great public acclaim. Hopefully his record, being released today, will be met with the same enthusiasm.

Backed by Hono's faultless pompe and Xavier Nicq, frequent bassist for Samson Schmitt, Brady can show all his talent. And the bugger certainly has some! His virtuoso style, in the Alsatian tradition (with a solid right hand) has Stochelo Rosenberg's delicacy and fluidity of notes.

And his repertoire, quite surprisingly for a kid of 17 (perhaps Uncle Hono had a hand in this...?) is really something: pop hits of the past are grist for the gypsy jazz mill, like "Happy Together", an old Turtles single, "Lady Madonna" by the Beatles, more or less forgotten standards like "Harlem Noctorne" (popularized in Mickey Spillane's "Mike Hammer" series) with the incomparable Marcel Loeffler on accordeon, "You Rascal You" (a jazz standard long before Gainsbourg's Franco-pop version) showcasing a magnificent Adrien Moignard solo, "Solitude", a beautiful Ellington ballad, Altman's pretty "Mash" theme, "Suicide is Painless", much-beloved by jazzmen, and of course, typical pieces from the GJ repertoire ("Gypsy Girl" and "Joseph", the latter with violinist Martin Weiss) along with some Djangology ("Dinette" and "Golden Arrow", accompanied by the always explosive Dominique di Piazza.) Equally charming is his reworking of "Solo of Bro", a slow delicate waltz by Hungarian guitarist Costa Lukacs, one of the hidden treasures of gypsy jazz still awaiting rediscovery and acclaim.

If Brady Winterstein already possesses an incredible instrumental technique (big sound, great dexterity) he still has things to learn about letting the music breathe: often the amazing machine gets jammed and phrases are repeated beyond the threshold of "annoying" to the point of "boring". But don't worry: Brady's only 17, and has his whole life ahead of him to learn. His record promises great things to come...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i'm bringing these guys to montreal, october 30th at the upstairs, check it out, it's their first time together in north america (hono's been here a few times with bireli)

http://upstairsjazz.com/fr/calendar_detail.php?u=151

it's gonna be worth the trip to see the rhythm master upclose!!! make sure to reserve your spots if you think you can make it, it's gonna be sold out FAST
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Thanks Adrian for letting me know about this album, have listened to it for about a week and love it. The mixture of song choice and additional musicians keeps the listener on their toes, and superb playing for such a young lad
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    dennis wrote:
    i'm bringing these guys to montreal, october 30th at the upstairs, check it out, it's their first time together in north america (hono's been here a few times with bireli)

http://upstairsjazz.com/fr/calendar_detail.php?u=151

it's gonna be worth the trip to see the rhythm master upclose!!! make sure to reserve your spots if you think you can make it, it's gonna be sold out FAST
    Well, I think I'm going to make it up for this one too, Denis. Our little nine-year old Goddaughter is dying to see Selena Gomez (aak! choke!) in Montreal on that date, so my wife may take her to that while I go to see some actual musicians at the Upstairs Jazz Club.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    bad news, the concert is cancelled, as soon as hono and brady found out that selena wass coming to montreal, they decided to cancel the gig and isntead go to the selena show, so if u want to see them, u know where to go
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am NOT going to the Selena concert, I don't care if Hono and Brady are her backup band. NONONONONONONONONO

NO! NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • AurelienAurelien PARIS✭✭
    is it a joke dennis? :shock:
    http://www.aurelienrobert.wix.com/guitare my 2nd album is free to download !!
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    TFS Jazz recently posted a couple live sets of Brady at Duc des Lombards. Hot stuff!

http://www.tsfjazz.com/podcast-detail.php?id=3

Also three Bireli sets from mid September.

CB