Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

Stefano50 Izzy Jose

Related Discussions

Who's Online (2)

• richter4208 11:06AM
  • Twang 11:07AM

Comments

• Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    Buy it! don't delay. This set is absolutely amazing and a must have -- for real.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely a must have-the bedrock for the area's style.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Ted, In celebration of this new arrival, could you give us a little history on Schnuckenack, Hans'che Weiss Ensemble, and the rest of the Duetch Crew?

'm
  • SoulShadeSoulShade NW Ohio, USANew
    Ted, In celebration of this new arrival, could you give us a little history on Schnuckenack, Hans'che Weiss Ensemble, and the rest of the Duetch Crew?

'm
    That would be much appreciated! -s
  • Does the box set have the 8 orig. album (CD) covers for each of the discs, or just one cover for the whole thing? The artwork on the orig. LP's are really cool!

P
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    kidtulsa wrote:
    Does the box set have the 8 orig. album (CD) covers for each of the discs, or just one cover for the whole thing?

Hi,
    the Box Set has an own original cover for every CD. Peter-J. Bertsch made the artwork.

Best,
    Barengero
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The "box set" is the same as the individual CDs. Just a better price per disc. All the covers are the same...

'm
  • yes... the schmuckenack are exellent, as are the Hänsche Weiss. The CD with Prinzo and Betzi is...hmmm..well... Really German ! When i saw the Winterstein name, i must say i expected something else. But i's good fun and all are part of the gypsy tradition. This is a great set !

Rune Larsen
    www.hotcc.dk
    regards
    Rune Larsen
    Hot Club Copenhagen
    www.hotcc.dk
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    gadjoswing wrote:
    When i saw the Winterstein name, i must say i expected something else.

:?: What did you expect? Prinzo Winterstein was the father (and of course the teacher, too) of Ziroli Winterstein and Holzmanno Winterstein.

btw: On the Prinzo & Betsi CD there is one title (the 5th one) skipped over in the summary. Its a waltz - a mixture of Djangos "Chez Jacquet" and Viseurs "Swing Valse".

Best,

Barengero
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    Hey!

I think to describe Schnuckenack, I'll use the only word capable of describing a true heavyweight - he's a motherfucker. I meant what I said. There are plenty of things that I get enthusiastic about on this site, but I will tell, without a doubt, buy the entire set if you can - don't think, just do it. You'll thank me, maybe not today or tomorrow, but you will thank me. Of this, I'm sure. Not one person who I have suggested to buy this set has been disappointed and I've been telling anybody who'll listen to buy it for years http://www.hotclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27&start=0

For starters, the Germany Gypsy Jazz scene begins with Schnuckenack. His model has served as the blueprint for the German branch. From material - the combination of swing, hungarian or eastern european styles, romany vocals and high energy was started by Schnuckenack and perpetuated to this day. You can hear his sound in Titi Winterstein, Wedeli Köhler, Martin Weiss -- all the contemporary players.

Like most gypsies, he got his start in his family band, which was all but descimated by the holocaust. According to legend he and some members of his family escaped off a train bound for one of the death camps and survived for several years by hiding out, and making a little money or food through playing. It was during or before this time that he learned the Hungarian style of violin playing -- again according to legend on the road after being deported from Germany by the Nazis. My pal Barengero would probably be able to fill us in on more of his early years.

Fast forward to the 1960's when he decided to dedicated himself to perpetuating Hot Club Jazz. His first band was high octane. It's important to note that during this time there was no one playing straight hot club swing. You had the few Manouche in Paris playing a combination of musette, swing and waltzes, you had Tchan-Tchou and Bousquet and the Corsican guys playing their mixture of stuff, but no one was as traditional Hot Club and Gypsy and the German Sinto. Some waltzes and more traditional Gypsy tunes (how would we have known that "Tears" is actually a traditional Romany tune in not for Schnuckenack's version with lyrics?) and a lot of high energy swing.

Once his older band broke up, he formed a new one with some younger guys including Häns'che Weiss, who had come across from East Germany a few years before. This band killed! But Häns'che left that band (he refuses to explain why, his answers have always been "That's a personal matter...") and formed his group with Titi Winterstein (than 16-ish years old), Holzmanno Winterstein (he took or returned to the name Lagrene on the first couple of Gypsy Project CD's), Ziroli Winterstein, Hojok Mehrstein and the occassional guest. Häns'che eventually left this band, after recording some of the best Sinti Jazz albums ever, including giving us Lulu Reinhardt. Häns'che went to release an album featuring a very young Martin Weiss on violin and Romani Weiss on acoustic rhythm guitar with Trilok Gurtu, which was more of a Gypsies take on modernish jazz. It's an obscure record, but quite good.

He moved into a trio, with Martin Weiss and Valie Meyer on bass, and record three outstanding records, where he moved more into a mainstream jazz guitar roll, playing a combination of single note and chordal solos. This band is one of my desert island bands, for sure. He know plays exclusively modern, in a duo with Meyer. Titi kept the same band once Häns'che left, and they still play together to this day with Holzmanno on rhythm guitar, a member of the Lehmann family (probably either Jani or Schmelling's son) on bass and an accordionist with Ziroli on lead. They've been playing and recording together for almost 30 years!

The Lehmann brothers who were mainstays in Schnuckenack's band for years; who also appear to be twins, Jani (bass) and Schmelling (rhythm guitar) were also the rhythmic foundation for Hot Club da Sinti http://www.djangostation.com/article.php3?id_article=248, Wedeli Köhler's band which was the first commercial recording with Tchavolo. Jani was playing with Schnuckenack up through 1996.

I could go on and on, but this is already too long. Barengero, please toss in more info if you have it. Suffice it to say that Schnuckenack's energy, his vibe, his vocals, his entire vibe make every single album worth listening to over and over again. And if you buy it and don't like it at first, keep it try again every once in a while because I promise you, eventually you will. It's infecious, beautiful music.

Best,

Ted

PS: Probably the coolest picture I've ever seen if of Schnuckenack with Joseph Reinhardt and (I believe) Vivian Villerstein during a parade at Ste. Marie de la Mer.