DjangoBooks.com

nylon strings in Gypsy Jazz

hi guys

I would like to ask you for help. I am new to the gypsy jazz guitars and equipment.
I saw on youtube Stochelo Rosenberg playing on a guitar with nylon strings. I wonder if nylon strings used in Gypsy Jazz are the same nylon strings that Classical guitar players are using or if there exist nylon strings designed ' specifically' for gypsy jazz playing? I just bought cigano gj 10 and wonder if it is possible to try using nylon strings with my guitar?

comments will be appreciated

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,002
    They are the same strings as a classical guitar would use.

They probabaly wouldn't work so well on your Cigano. Fan bracing works better on nylon string guitars, and I think the lack of string tension using nylon vs. steel would cause the guitar to seriously underperform.

Alfonso Ponticelli uses a flamenco guitar for his gypsy jazz gigs on occasion, and I saw Ottorino Galli in Chicago playing a 14-fret nylon string gypsy guitar. There's a video clip on YouTube.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Also check out Thomas Dutronc.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    We just put nylon strings on our Cigano GJ-15 this weekend, and it sounds pretty darn good! It's a little on the dark side, but it's much louder than I thought it would be. It works very well for Jill's rasegudo picking on some of our Latin tunes. The Argentines tear up her fingernails with this style.

I used Ernie Ball "Folk" strings, which have a ball-end for the Selmac style tailpiece. For straight classical, I use Augustines, but short of tying a big knot in the end of the string, they really don't play nice with the GJ tailpiece.
    juststrings_2149_164005820

The nylon strings seemed to work well on the existing nut, with the exception of the G string, which will take some widening. That shouldn't be too much of an issue, since the guitar has a zero fret. I did have to shim the bridge some.

We will be recording with this guitar in the next few weeks, and I will post some audio and/or video. All-in-all, this was a worthwhile project, and we now have a fun new color on our palette that didn't cost $1,000+.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
    I'm going to be consulting with Josh soon about the potential for a brighter sound with a new bridge vs. the stock Cigano bridge.
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd add to this topic, as I also recetly converted my D-Hole into a Nylon string guitar using the Earthwood strings. Just for reference here is a video of me playing a solo over Miles Davis' "So What", and what the guitar now sounds like with a pick:

It has sort of a sound between a Selmer and a Classical guitar, with a quiet twangy tone. The guitar is awfully quiet without the pick, but then again, I'm not used to playing fingerstyle so I just use the pick regardless.
    You were the one that inspired me, Shawn!
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Tele! I'm really looking forward to hearing how yours turned out when you have the chance, as I'd love to have something to compare it to.
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    thanks for replies guys!
    Great conversion project, Shawn!
  • bokchoybokchoy New
    John Lee Hooker once made a recording called "Blues For My Baby" on which he used nylon strings on his Gibson. At least I and my friends heard that on the recording.So it can be done but when I put nylon strings on my Cigano the sound came out "tubby" and totally out of character for the instrument. Due in part to the change in string tensions.
    And the tailpiece began to clip the strings off!
    It's best to use a metallic string on these guitars. They will be happier and you will be happy too.
    Of course, there is a classical version of the Gypsy Jazz guitar which I believe is what the Maccaferi is...what it started out to be.
    Any kind of nylon string can be used. Maybe a set of Saverez nylons would be more appropriate since that is the company that musicians used at this time. As now.