DjangoBooks.com

Jazz Resources...

JazzDawgJazzDawg New
edited October 2010 in Technique Posts: 264
I wanted to share this resource link, which has a lot of good information available for free. It's not gypsy jazz, but I think you'll find some documents, and play-alongs that are useful. For example, Bert Ligon has provided several docs that can give your awareness of the fretboard a real boost.

If you find Bert's example docs good, try getting his book, "Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony". Again, it's not strictly gypsy jazz, but Django's music is first - jazz. The book has a lot of great examples from the top players, including Charlie Parker, and many others.

The other item of note, is take a google trip to find the samples that the new Gypsy Jazz Academy site is providing. Denis Chang gave a nice lesson on Lollo Meier's "Step Swing", including a full transcription. I worked with this all morning, and believe me, it is opening things up for me too.

Cheers :wink:

Comments

• Nice. I just posted a similar positive review of the free Lollo stuff in the Gypsy Jazz Academy post.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hey thanks for the nice words! i'm glad you enjoyed the lessons. I'm not an actual staff member of the gypsy jazz academy, i mainly just transcribe for them and i also do the same for andreas oberg's guitar universe...

that said, they sometimes commission lessons like that from me, and i'll do them, i'm working on another one right now, dont know if they ll decide to make it available for free but i hope you'll enjoy it!

i m also working on my own online site (have been doing so for the last 2 yrs!!!) that should hopefully be launched in a year's time... it is very different in nature to these membership based sites, it's my own original creation, and i want everything to be way more than perfect, it's how i roll :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

i'm looking forward to sharing this new thing with everyone!
  • Can't wait, Dennis.

I've tried the Jimmy Bruno membership site and conceptually, it's a great idea. My only issue is that in order to fully benefit from the site, you need to submit videos for review. This is a problem because the review process could be long.

I'm interested in hearing how you're going to do it.