DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo Triplets

lukehlukeh New
edited June 2011 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 8
Does anyone know if Gonzalo and others pick down on the beginning of each triplet when playing them fast? There should be an attachment to look at. It seems nice to accent the first beat of every triplet but pretty difficult to play the DUD picking that fast. Anyhow, I'm just wondering if it is wasting my time trying to get it down with the DUD picking or if that is indeed how some guys do it?
Any help would be appreciated.
SEE THE CORRECT TAB ON MY RESPONSE ON JULY 30th.
Luke

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Most players play a downstroke at the beginning of each triplet, so you first example would be the one to use.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    I sat in on one of Stochelo's workshops and he taught everybody to use the DUD pattern for triplet lines like that.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    Lukeh,

your TAB doesn't match the notes. It seems to me (from your picking pattern) that you play it right but you wrote it wrong: there should be a string change in the second note of the second bar. Consequently, all fret numbers after that are on a wrong string.

And back to your question... It depends on the tempo, but especially if it's fast, I'd use the latter pattern.
  • lukehlukeh New
    Thanks guys! Kimmo you are certainly right, I wrote the tab wrong. Thanks for pointing it out. Here is the correction. I think I'll see if old gitpicker and Michael Bauer know what their talking about and get back to the shed with the first pattern for a while :D
  • lukehlukeh New
    Hey-
    For what it's worth, I thought I'd revisit this to clarify any misinformation. I spoke with Gonzalo and he just uses the regular gypsy picking for his fast triplet licks-Alternate picking with the down stroke when switching strings. I've also noticed that is how most people seem to do it. So the picking markings I wrote would not be correct.
    According to him, the DUD DUD picking is simply for rhythmic phrases to get that cool triplet effect like when you are playing a repeating three note phrase or vamp with 8th notes like Django often did. This makes sense to me and hey, if I could play triplet runs like Gonzalo I'd be happy!