DjangoBooks.com

B section Them there eyes.

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
edited July 2010 in Repertoire Posts: 557
Hey everyone just kind of coming back around to something I was working on a while ago and figured I would post about to see what other cats do. So I am working on Them there eyes. I have a real book chart and the Nolan chart from the gig book but no one seems to play those melodies for the b section it sounds as though people just blow over it. For a while I was trying to transcribe the way Dennis plays it (from the You tube video of the performance with he and Stochelo). That all being said does anyone have any tips for playing the B section do you just blow over the chords and then back to the A section melody? does anyone play from a chart or transcription? Anyone have any versions they like specifically? Just trying to see what cats are doing over this.
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    I always play the B section as sung by Ella Fitzgerald on "Ella and Basie" --

Ella Fitzgerald recordings are always great for learning the heads -- she usually sings it straight, and it's really easy to follow the melody.

Great album, by the way!

Adrian
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Adrian, thanks man I agree completely Ella's version of tunes is a great way to learn heads. I was really talking about how people play the head in a more Jazz Manouche setting. I have noticed most people don't play that B section that Ella Sings. Thanks the same man that is a great tip for folks to learn. Listen to singers if you want to learn heads. Plus Ella and Basie!!! what swings harder than that!!!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    Come on over and I will show you what I do.

Dave