DjangoBooks.com

Manouche Guitars biting the dust!

Comments

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    edited January 2010 Posts: 629
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    I too am confused by this ..... who actually owns the rights to the name the Selmer Guitar Company ...or is it even trademarked internationally....

I hope someone who is knowledgeable will enlighten us.

I'm pretty sure "Selmer" is a registered trademark of either Selmer USA or the Henri Selmer Co. in Europe, both of which are still doing brisk business, particularly in the woodwind and horn markets.

EDIT: or Conn-Selmer, Inc.!
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I would agree with that, I don't think there was ever a "Selmer Guitar Company."
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
    A question - I went to the site and it's great. In the "gallery" section, it shows two necks under construction. There are three metal pieces with holes, not unlike something from an Erector set. The finished necks appear to show the three pieces in the neck. Are these for reinforcement? If so, does this take the place of a truss rod? Necks non-adjustable?

Thanks.

Greg
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    Hello, i bought a Manouche from Mr. Vickers at Albuquerque Djangofest last year. Where there is usually a truss rod this guitar has what he called, i believe, a t-bar. Unfortunately, going from england to arizona was too much, despite my efforts to keep it humidified, and the neck is being shaved and refretted this week. The guitar developed " the hump " where the neck meets the body. What do you think are the chances that the Manouche guitars will apreciate in value as a result of the closing of the company.
    shut up and play your guitar
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Don't know if this helps but there's some stuff about Selmer history and ownership on Wikipedia here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selmer_Company

Also, on similar lines, you could ask a similar question of Duponts Busatos.

Maybe the answer is that in both case the names Selmer and Busato are being used in reference to the strict adherence to the original designs/specific characteristics and not a connection to the manufacturing company or builder.

Alan
    always learning
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    They are NOT going to be called the Selmer Guitar Company, at least that's what Barry told me last Sunday. He told me the name, which I naturally forgot, but I hope to see him again before I leave for Chicago, and I'll post whatever it is. Anyway, the name Selmer did not appear in the title.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    What I want to know is, when is someone going to start building replicas of the plastic Maccaferri?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • GregocideGregocide New
    Hey.

Here is the official word from Manouche:

"Basically the two partners in the company have gone their separate ways,
    which means that there will be two guitar companies.
    John Vickers and Tony Walker were the two original partners in the company.
    John came up with the idea to produce Selmacs based on the original plans,
    and he also developed his own plans for the Concert Model Guitar.
    He was the "nuts and bolts guy" all along. Worked out the details for the tuners and hardware,
    [ which were, BTW, usually a step up from the entry level hardware and bridges that are often substandard].
    Tony's role was basically as a financial backer for the most part.
    John Vicker's will be producing guitars of the original quality of the Manouche line, [or better].
    John is registering the company name at this time, so you all will just have to wait to see what
    it'll be! All of the artists that were with Manouche will be with John's new venture, and one or two new artits, again, all will be revealed in time! ;-)

Tony will be working with Jeongwoo Cho trading under JWC guitars.
    They just weren't agreeing on some basic issues, so they dissolved the partnership
    John basically always wanted to produce guitars that were a step up from the guitars produced in China, and that would be a good bit less than a luthier built guitar."
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    All the best to the JCW guitars, Tony.

My Manouce n° 20 sounds better each day so I can't imagine how good these new guitars will be!

All the best

Franco

P.S.
    I'm I wrong or you're the lucky owner of the Selmer "Crolla"#719 now?
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    Hi Tony

Good to hear you'll be continuing.

Quick question: how (if at all) does the 'Ferre Brothers' D-hole I bought off you in summer vary from the Modele Orchestre as currently advertised? There are a couple of minor details different than a regular issue -
      Ferre Brothers name on headstock Manouche Guitars on the headstock with accented 'e'
    No worries, am v happy with sound and setup - just curious if that was a new direction that didn't get followed through?

Best, Alex W (swing68)
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...