DjangoBooks.com

Typical guitar setup for rhythm

bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
edited October 2012 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 156
Hi. Just curious, does the rhythm guitar setup differ anyway from the setup usually done for soloing purposes? Lower actions, thicker or thinner strings etc? I wonder what kind of setup Hono Winterstein is using..

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I played Nous'che's Maccaferri once and it had really low action.
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    I played Nous'che's Maccaferri once and it had really low action.

Thanks! That's interesting to know.

How about other players, do you have any similar experiences about other famous rhythm guitarists setups?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I've heard that Titi Bamberger uses 14 gauge flatwounds on a Selmer type guitar! So everyone's different I guess....
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I've heard that Titi Bamberger uses 14 gauge flatwounds on a Selmer type guitar! So everyone's different I guess....
    I've seen him changing his strings and I can confirm that, D'aquisto 14 flatwounds plus he likes really, and I mean REALLY high action and plays with a Dunlop 208 or 207 can't remember which one. I could barely fret a note on his guitar!
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Wow! I am surprised he can use such big strings! I was under the impression the guitars couldn't handle them...
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Wow! I am surprised he can use such big strings! I was under the impression the guitars couldn't handle them...
    One guitar of his couldn't. The neck warped and the top caved, he can still play it and it sounds good in his hands but I'm sure the guitar will give up sooner rather than later, probably forever. I guess he just likes that feel and that absolutely dry sound he gets with those strings.
    He has another guitar which was built for him, the one he plays most often, maybe that one is made to resist the tension, but he looks at it it with such pride and sweetness that I didn't have the heart to ask him to let me try it.
    BTW Titi Bamberger is one of the sweetest persons I have ever had the privilege of meeting.

Enrique
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    OK, so it was built with his taste in heavy strings in mind... That's an interesting idea... basically make a Selmer style but make it archtop strength. It wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea - but if you have really strong hands and love dry crunchy rhythm it's probably not a bad way to go. His rhythm definitely has that Freddy Green meets Joseph Reinhardt mojo to it.

Yeah... 14s would pretty much pretzel a traditionally built Selmer style guitar. (ouch)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    I had a gig couple of days ago and I recently changed my strings from 11s argentines to a hybrid set of 10s d'addario strings with the two strings E and B from the previous argentine set. I noticed that with these thinner strings my rhythm playing felt much more relaxed and maybe more swinging also. So in my case maybe the thinner strings works better for rhythm. I play a longscale oval hole guitar.. Just wanted to post my recent experience.
  • I find low action guitars easier to play and lighter strings easier to play than heavier strings.

The downside to law action and light strings is that one cannot whack away hard without either the notes breaking up or rattles, buzzes etc.

I love a guitar that plays loudly without having to whack it.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    bluetrain wrote:
    I wonder what kind of setup Hono Winterstein is using..

Old post, but curious - anyone happen to know? I'm thinking of trying out Galli silk and steel 11's, for kicks, on my DG-300, but curious what specs Hono tends to use...
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.