DjangoBooks.com

Making Backing Tracks

pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
edited July 2009 in Recording Posts: 140
I'd like to gather ideas for recording professional sounding backing tracks i.e., suitable for backing a guitarist in a small gig setting.

Here is my current set-up:

- Use Band in Box with a Django rhythm track and chords to set-up tune (this gives me a well timed foundation)
- Delete the guitar part leaving only the acoustic bass
- Make an mp3 file
- Record on my Mac Mini using Garage Band after importing the mp3 bass track
- Record my Dupont MD-50 with a Rode MT-1000 (~$300) acoustically via Line 6 UX2 Toneport (~$180) set to flat (no color) right to Garage Band as the mp3 bass track is playing along (headphones needed).
- Mixdown to a final mp3 track.

I have tried various PC solutions - but have not had good results. It seems like Macs just do music better. I have also used a Bigtone via a Lightsnake USB A/D cable and, while the set-up is fairly clean, the Bigtone sound does not compare favorably to the acoustic set-up described above.

I also have a Zoom H4 that I use for "quick and dirty" recordings - but I have not been able to get high quality sounds out it (even with the Rode) that rival what is described above.

How do others do this? Any ways to further economize and still get good recordings?
I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand...are you saying they need to be high quality enough to use for a gig, as in you play to the prerecorded track instead of having a rhythm section? (And if so, can I ask--just out of curiosity--why?)

My girlfriend has recorded a few albums with a Mac/MBox/ProTools setup, using guitar, cello, and voice, with pretty good results. I wonder if not using mp3 as the file type might make a difference--have you tried mixing to a higher quality audio file?

best,
    Jack.
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    Sure - real rhythm sections are preferred, but there are more solo guitar gigs here locally - so backing tracks are needed if you want to play this music.

I have many high quality mp3 files (even at 128) - so it is not the file type but more the recording technique. What type of mics are being used by your friend?
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I get it now...I'm not sure what mics she used--her brother is a producer/musician, and she borrowed mics from him. I'll try to dig up some names and get back to you.

best,
    Jack.