DjangoBooks.com

Fast alternate picking on same string - picking pattern #2

KBKB Toronto, CanadaNew
edited May 2009 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 26
Hi all,

I have a question...when playing at really fast tempos i notice that i tend to not raise my wrist above the above string...

so if i'm playing the same note on the D string (alternate picking) my range of motion decreases. After the rest stroke on the G string when raising my wrist i don't go above the A string.

Can someone tell if this happens to beginners as well???

thanks.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'd have to see it...I'm not entirely sure what you're describing.

'm
    KB wrote:
    I have a question...when playing at really fast tempos i notice that i tend to not raise my wrist above the above string...

so if i'm playing the same note on the D string (alternate picking) my range of motion decreases. After the rest stroke on the G string when raising my wrist i don't go above the A string.

Can someone tell if this happens to beginners as well???
    Yes, it does - at least to me. But Michael writes that "at slow to medium tempos your upstroke should raise up two strings higher than the string you will hit next". So, I think that this might be impossible at very fast tempos.
    Yes, when you get faster the motion does get smaller.
  • KBKB Toronto, CanadaNew
    Yes, when you get faster the motion does get smaller.

Oh cool...good to know then..i'm not making any mistakes. However when the motion/range gets smaller i find that volume projected decreases as well if my arms are relaxed. In order to get a louder tone w/ smaller range of motion i find that while i keep my wrist loose i tend to tighten the upper arm more. is this right???
    KB wrote:
    [However when the motion/range gets smaller i find that volume projected decreases as well if my arms are relaxed. In order to get a louder tone w/ smaller range of motion i find that while i keep my wrist loose i tend to tighten the upper arm more. is this right???

Generally I'd recommend not trying to play too loud when playing fast. It's best to keep relaxed and not try too hard to muscle it. If you're playing with a good rhythm player and you have a nice bright guitar with good projection then you'll still be heard.

'm
    KB wrote:
    [However when the motion/range gets smaller i find that volume projected decreases as well if my arms are relaxed. In order to get a louder tone w/ smaller range of motion i find that while i keep my wrist loose i tend to tighten the upper arm more. is this right???

Generally I'd recommend not trying to play too loud when playing fast. It's best to keep relaxed and not try too hard to muscle it. If you're playing with a good rhythm player who's not overbearing and you have a nice bright guitar with good projection then you'll still be heard.

'm