DjangoBooks.com

Sore inside of forearm, Help please

BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
edited May 2009 in Technique Posts: 1,379
Hi all,
For a while now I've been experiencing some pain on the inside of my right arm where it rests against the guitar after long playing sessions. I'm pretty sure it's not muscular and doesn't come from tension but rather from the friction and contact of the skin against the binding. I don't hug the guitar, it's just the weight of my arm over the edge of the guitar that seems to be causing this. It gets worse if I wear some sweater or a piece of clothing with long sleeves while playing.

I practice a lot and after 3-5 hours I can really feel it.
It doesn't affect my playing or the arm's function at all but I would really like it to go away.

It mainly happens on one particular acoustic guitar and I'm suspecting the instrument itself has something to do with the problem as this situation started right after I first got the guitar.

Can it be that the binding is somewhat sharp or something?
Can someone offer some advice?

It's not really that painful but it is uncomfortable.
Maybe padding the affected area could help?
I looked into some armrests that classical players use, but i don't know...
Does anyone play with a floating arm? (not making any contact with the guitar's body)

I appreciate any help.
Thanks

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    yikes looks like you have some sort of reaction to the guitar....

i used to have that with a particular violin i was practicing on, i had these insane rashes.... and on other violins, no problem..

dunno what to say! have you tried another guitar to see if you have teh same pain?
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I used to bear hug my guitar all the time, which creates lots of pressure and tension, but now sometimes I try to play without the back of the guitar touching my body. it forces you to relax and lighten up in some ways. just an idea...
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thanks for the input.
    It is not a skin rash, in fact it gets worse if I cover my arm. If my skin makes contact with the guitar it sort of sticks to it a bit and the instrument moves less so there's not as much friction.

Mainly happens on one guitar, which unfortunately is my favorite. If I'm already hurting any guitar will cause pain, but it seems to generate from that one instrument.

I don't hug my guitar, is quite the opposite that makes the problem, it's so loose that it moves while I play making my forearm rub against the binding.

Talking with Bob Holo has made me suspect that the binding might be too sharp and my arm rubbing against the edge while I play, after a few hours it causes this discomfort, makes sense to me.
    We'll see how it turns out.

Thanks again for helping.
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    Is that guitar deeper or wider than the others? The cause might also be a changed playing position instead of rough or sharp edges.

Is the pain in your muscles or skin? You say you don't have any rash, and the pain gets worse, if you cover your arm. If the pain is on the surface, but even covering your arm won't help, then I can't guess what will.

But for muscular pain (or cramps or stiffness etc), I have foud going to a gym every now and then will help (and yes, I know, this is obvious but I had to say it). Playing guitar, or almost any instrument, is like working in a pipeline: static position, same muscles doing repetitive patterns all over again. Small changes (like a different body size) can make a huge difference, especially since you play so much.
    Thanks Kimmo,
    I think my guitars have a slightly different neck angle, so that might be contributing to the problem, unconsciously I might be changing my position somewhat.

The reason covering my arm make matters worse is that thin clothes allow the guitar to slide around a little more. That sliding and rubbing against my arm is what's I think is causing the pain.

I can alleviate it by wearing several layers of clothes or placing a folded handkerchief around my arm, but would like to solve it without external devices.

The pain is mostly in the skin, kinda like a burning sensation but muscle movement doesn't affect the pain.

I hope I can solve this 'cause I really love that guitar, but lately just the thought of picking it up is making me cringe a little. Looking back I never had any similar problems until right after getting this guitar.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Use the Maccaferri method.... just beware, it only works if you wear a mask! :)
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I've never put one of these on a Selmac, but I have one on my Guild F47 flat-top, and it's great for keeping my arm off the soundboard.

ar-photo.jpg

and here's the website:http://www.jpstrings.com/armrest.htm
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
    Thanks Tele295,
    I did have a look at those armrests, but I don't know... maybe a simpler version, some kind of cushion or something that doesn't take away from the looks of the guitar
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Alternatively, Harry, do you think a little superfine sandpaper might take the burrs out of the edge? What about the possibility of an allergic reaction to the finish?
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    maybe you could cut the end off of a sock and make some kind of protective armband? you never know, maybe you'll start a trend and it will be the new cool thing to do...