DjangoBooks.com

A Moment of Enlightenment!

gypsydreamgypsydream Liverpool, UKNew
edited January 2009 in Violin Posts: 20
A few years ago, I went to see Fapy Lafertin play a concert in my home town. I had seen Fapy a number of times previously including some gigs with Waso ( remember them?). Anyway, Fapy played up to his usual high standard but when the concert ended, I didn't dash home to put in an hour's practice on my guitar. No, I came away with a new dream - to play gypsy jazz violin. As much as I enjoyed Fapy's playing, it was Tim Kliphuis's playing that really excited me. I came out of the show thinking why would anyone want to play the guitar when they could play the violin instead. All my guitar playing friends thought I was crazy! But I didn't care, because I had seen the light!

Comments

• B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    Great Decision! The swing jazz community needs players who have heard the calling of this difficult but beautiful instrument! You will have an incredible rewarding musical future with this choice and many opportunities to jam and learn with other musicians! Congratulations!
    Rocky
  • beavertoofbeavertoof nashville, tnNew
    so how is your quest to play jazz fiddle going?

At the moment, mine is stalled pretty badly. I play guitar so much better, and even clarinet better, so at times it is torture for me to attempt swing on the violin.

i can play pretty decent straight ahead contra-dance music on the fiddle, but attempting to convert the bowing to improvised swing lines has been very very tough for me. I know what to do, I just can not do it very well.