DjangoBooks.com

Ozark vs Cigano

Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum and unfortunately I have to introduce myself with a question that will probably sound rather dumb :?
I have an Ozark D hole - I think it's their only GJish model - as a second guitar, the other one being a Gitane 250M. I was thinking about replacing' the Ozark with a Cigano GJ15 - can't afford to spend a lot at the moment. I know that there are different opinions on the Ciganos, could I have some feedback?
One of my main doubt is about the neck's profile: for my rather short fingers the Gitane's slim and round shape is perfect. Other necks that I've tried, although more Maccaferrish - in fact one was an original '45 Maccaferri, are too thick and 'square' for me. And then, of course, there's the volume issue. I've seen the videos of Joscho Stephan playing the Cigano (thanks to the kind member who posted them) but would a common mortal still manage to get something decent out of such a cheap guitar? Thanks everybody, look forward to reading your suggestions.

Comments

Ozark? Is that a brand over in the UK?

Gonna google! :wink:
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi there, for what it's worth I tried an Ozark and I've done a bit of nosing around what it takes to build sel-mac type guitars. Having read the review of the Cigano range I would suggest that they, the Ciganos, are your better option. In my humble opinion of course.

Also check out my first ever post and the bay I purchased on ebay. The seller has a similar 12fret to body for sale. Hopefully the one I bought will arrive in a day or so and I'll post the results. I could have bought a pig in a poke or a little gem. Time will tell

regards
    always learning
  • lamottelamotte UKNew
    Hi, I must confess I didn't think it might not be distributed elsewhere :oops: I've just checked their website and yes, they're based here in the UK and don't seem to go much further. I guess this narrows my chances for replies. Sorry about that.
  • lamottelamotte UKNew
    crookedpinky,
    hi, thanks for your message. I'm inclined to think that I'll go for the Cigano. I would have already bought it, but you know, it would be slightly mad to buy on sight only...:wink:
    just kidding, in fact I have shopped online on two or three occasions and have no regrets at all. that guitar of yours looks intriguing! can't say more from the picture, but let us know when you get it - I am from Italy, perhaps with more details I'll be able to help you identifying it.