DjangoBooks.com

Pickups.

I'm wondering exactly how a magnetic pickup like the Stimer works, since I was under the impression that silver wound copper strings are non-magnetic, am I simply mistaken? or perhaps the Argentines are simply a bit less effcient than a nickel steel string or something of the sort... they still have a steel core right?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The steel core provides enough magnetism to make the Argies work. The new reissue Stimers do a pretty go job of compensating for the different responses of the individual strings. But for the best results, Nickel strings are the way to go. But most of the time me, and most of the other guys I know, are too lazy and just use the Argies anyway it's usually fine.

'm
  • satyrsatyr New
    cool thanks for the info!

so if the reissue Stimer is designed to compensate for the string imbalance, how do vintage pickups fare in general? i've got an old Regal archtop, I use Argies on her and she sounds great, i think closer to the gypsy sound i hear on records than the couple of Gitanes I've played in person, which sounded too... flat. i guess. But yeah i was planning on putting like a vintage DeArmond on just to check it out and was hoping that it wouldn't be in vain, since I do love the Silver Strings so.
  • satyrsatyr New
    pict1111nv7.jpg

just wanted to show off.

:)
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Dearmonds are better balanced than Stimers. If you use a Superchief(1100) Dearmond you can use the adjustible polepieces to perfectly balance the strings.

Even the Dearmond Guitar Mikes and Rythym Chiefs are better balanced than a Stimer (Reissue or original).

Argies or Bronze will not work as well as nickel, but will work.

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
    I've played a number of different Dearmond FHC (the chrome ones with the two black lines under the high e and b strings) pickups over the years. The older ones were usually better balanced for playing with bronze strings (which I'd imagine would be similar to output with argies), but some of the later ones seemed to be balanced more for nickel strings. Just something to keep in mind if that's what you go for.
  • JohanJohan Oslo, NorwayNew
    'm going to buy a pickup for my dell arte. I think i'll have one of the bigtones. These new bigtones, the deluxes and such. What are the difference beetween them?

And these new benedetto pickups? Are they good for gypsy guitars?
    Band up and running! Finaly!
    [quote="Johan"]'m going to buy a pickup for my dell arte. I think i'll have one of the bigtones. These new bigtones, the deluxes and such. What are the difference beetween them?[/quote]

I'd recommend the deluxe...it's by far the best sounding of the lot. Not so brittle, nasal, and quacky like the regular bigtones. The only issue is that it's output gain is lower. It's not a problem as long as you have a powerful amp like an AER of Schertler. But if you're using a weaker amp you may need a preamp to boost the gain a bit.

The Super Bigtone also sounds good, but not as good as the Deluxe. But it has a really hot signal so it's loud!

[quote]And these new benedetto pickups? Are they good for gypsy guitars?[/quote]

The benedetto PUs are humbuckers, so you'd have to drill some holes in your guitar which will kill the acoustic sound. These are more for archtops are for people who want to turn their Selmer into an elctro/Selmer hybrid. Like this:

Saga Gitane DG-340 One of a Kind! ***ELECTRO MODEL*** with Gig Bag - SOLD!!!

• JohanJohan Oslo, NorwayNew
    thanks, Michael

How are the Bigtones configured for external mounting? I have heard that these are'nt any good..
    Band up and running! Finaly!
    Johan wrote:
    thanks, Michael

How are the Bigtones configured for external mounting? I have heard that these are'nt any good..

Josh will build an external mount if you choose that option. I've never heard of any problems with them....the pickup and sound are the same. the only difference is you don't drill holes in the guitar so the pickup can be removed easily. People who don't want to drill holes in their guitar (especially if it's a vintage guitar) or like the flexibility of being able to take pickup off choose this option. I've never heard any complaints...

'm
  • noizenoize Netherlands✭✭✭
    How does this exactly look? Where does this mini plugjack go?