DjangoBooks.com

Best Gypsy Jazz Archtop

Knowing that Sel Macs are also classified as archtops, I'm looking for opinions on what standard (like a Gibson 125 say) archtop may be best suited for cross over GJ... I've seen Romane play several different archtops but wanted to get some other opinions... and if you were looking for a standard archtop what would you be looking for (solid top, laminated top, pickup etc). I've owned an Eastman oval hole that worked pretty well. Thanks

Robert

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    These work well. Very acoustic like amplified sound and also loud enough to use as an acoustic:

15-6993.jpg

15-6993 Benedetto (used, c. 2006)
  • waldenjazzwaldenjazz Thoreau, NMNew
    Thanks Michael, I played Howard Aldens 7 string a little in October... just amazing....
    btw....these Martin CF-1 archtops have some of the same qualities as the Benedettos. Light weight, good acoustic sound, ebony pick guard/tailpiece, etc. Not quite as smooth as a Benedetto, but half the price. they were designed by Dale Unger who was a protege of Benedetto.

However, they have cheaper laminate tops...

the Eastmans aren't bad either...but the pickups aren't that great and they don't seem to play as well as the high priced US archtops.

CF-1_f.jpg

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/cho ... 1&s=E&p=ge
    Thanks Michael, looks like a beautiful guitar! I heard from someone who said that Benedetto was having someone (a major company) manufacture guitars to his specs in asia I believe, but that the deal went sour... seems commonplace in the guitar world. What do the Martins cost?? And are they asian (I hope so)?

Robert
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Guild...
    Not sure if they are still manufacturing them...
    edited February 2008 Posts: 6,153
    waldenjazz wrote:
    I heard from someone who said that Benedetto was having someone (a major company) manufacture guitars to his specs in asia

I seriosuly doubt that...in fact Howard Paul who is the CEO of Benedetto said that Benedettos always have and will be US made. Benedetto had a contract with Fender/Guild to build his guitars till 2007. He now has his own facotry in Georgia: http://www.benedettoguitars.com/

What do the Martins cost?? And are they asian (I hope so)?

Around $3K....no, they are US made. sorry....
    That's right... Fender is what I heard... but I also heard there was some issue or another... like the quality wasn't up to standards set by Bob... it was something like that... but you know how the truth can be tweeked, by the time it goes around who knows what's true. I did hear this from somebody in the guitar industry however. Thanks for clearing it up. They look great, and I'm sure are worth the price. Personally I think the new asian guitars manufactured in the high end shops are better than other stuff I've seen. Old US guitars were second to none... the new ones... I don't know I've seen some really nice Korean guitars lately. But it's just one of those subjective things... which is why I've been looking for opinions. My favorite guitar has to be a short scale 161/2 inch lower bout laminated top, laminated sides and back f hole... love the old Hofners, Framus not so much. Currently playing a new Stromberg Newport and can't say enough good things about it. Anyway opinions welcome! And as always Michael you are a wealth of information, Thanks.
    waldenjazz wrote:
    like the quality wasn't up to standards set by Bob

Actually, that was a vicious rumor which happens a lot in this biz. Bob and all the endorsers were very happy with the instruments. The Fender/Guild Benedettos I've seen are of the finest quality. The only reason he left Fender was because they were spending too much time building them. What I heard is that Bob wanted to produce a higher number of instruments a year and he got an offer from Howard Paul to fund his own operation. So he took that route. I'd imagine if he hadn't had a private investor bank rolling him then he'd still be working with Fender. the quality of the instruments didn't really have anything to do with it.

The Asian archtops I've seen are similar to Asian Selmers. The quality has gotten a lot better over the years and many models can really be played professionally. But usually the playability, tone, and workmanship is just not the same as you'd get from top notch domestic built instruments. But usually it's good enough with the Asian ones and a fraction of the price. But for those seeking a very high performing instrument, the domestic made guitars are usually the only option.
    Yeah you're right.... rumor and inuendo abound in the guitar world. A strange place for it considering people are involved in it because they love music... supposedly... but has a dark side I have discovered. Fortunately it's minimal though and by and large is filled with a lot of teriffic people. Have you played any of these Fender?Bennies??? I haven't seen any reviews on them. So many fine guitars... wouldn't it be great to have one of each? Well we may skip a few... There were a lot of nice archtops at NAMM this year, and there will be some new ones at summer NAMM in Nashville.
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    However, they have cheaper laminate tops...

I don't think the laminate top in this case is "cheaper". Isn't Jim Hall's D'Aquisto a laminate top guitar as well as his signature model Sadowsky? My understanding is that it is a design feature to improve the tone and reduce feedback of the guitar as an "amplified" instrument. Naturally it might not sound as good acoustically as a solid top BUT then again I also had a Benedetto Bravo with a laminate top (I can't believe I sold it but it was to fund a special guitar that I'll have soon) and not only did it sound just incredible amplified (through anything) but also sounded very good acoustically (bright with good projection but you couldn't dig into it tooooo hard). Of course it had different sonic qualities than a solid top jazz box but for sure was not inferior in my opinion. As this point relates to our love of gipsy guitars I don't think it would work well on a selmac but there are certain cases where a laminate top can be preferred. Of course as I said those archtops I mentioned maybe were designed with the intention of being an electrified instrument rather than acoustic. In the case of the Martin I am not sure though and also admit I have never played one myself.

I didn't realize the designer was a protoge of Benedetto. Thanks for that bit of info. I'm even more curious to try one now.

Anyways it's something to think about within this discussion. Guitars, guitars, guitars........... :P
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone