DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

EvaLarry Fumée JedDobson0 chrisfargen ybileydi

I have a chance to buy a used D-500

Hi folks;

I am a newbie to this site and GJ playing and I have a chance to buy a 2 year old Gitane D-500 with a soft case for $550 CDN. Is this a good deal?
Thanks,

ZF

Comments

• FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    No, it's not a good deal. You can buy a brand new D-500 from this site for $540

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/cg ... t=&catstr=
    -fopa
  • ZeroFretZeroFret New
    Fopa wrote:
    No, it's not a good deal. You can buy a brand new D-500 from this site for $540

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/cg ... t=&catstr=

Thank you for the reply.
    Yes, that is a better deal if you live in the USA but I live in Canada. By the time I pay for shipping and extortionist brokerage fees UPS charges it will cost me $800 or more. I guess I will just continue to learn on my cheap Aria MM-20.

ZF
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    Interesting, I bought my last gj guitar from a Canadian luthier, and had it shipped to me here in the States. Apart from the shipping cost, there wern't any fees or charges.
    -fopa
  • beebobeebo New
    Hello Zerofret,

I also live in Canada and recently made a purchase of an instrument and various books from this site, and my purchase was not shipped via UPS. It was shipped USPS and when i picked it up at Canada Post, the border cops charged me PST (SK) and GST. There may have been a $10 Customs Handling Fee (or some such nonsense) on top of that if i remember correctly...
    In all my cross border purchases the last few years, any "extra" charges have amounted to very little more than the sales taxes applicable in SK (PST+GST) or just GST when i was in AB. Occasionally i had NO extra charges - even on purchases over $1000. I am definitely happy when USPS and CP are involved.

UPS on the other hand..... :roll: - not so much
    Much more expensive in my experience, to the point where i will find another retailer if my first choice ships by UPS.
  • ZeroFretZeroFret New
    beebo wrote:
    Hello Zerofret,

I also live in Canada and recently made a purchase of an instrument and various books from this site, and my purchase was not shipped via UPS. It was shipped USPS and when i picked it up at Canada Post, the border cops charged me PST (SK) and GST. There may have been a $10 Customs Handling Fee (or some such nonsense) on top of that if i remember correctly...
    In all my cross border purchases the last few years, any "extra" charges have amounted to very little more than the sales taxes applicable in SK (PST+GST) or just GST when i was in AB. Occasionally i had NO extra charges - even on purchases over $1000. I am definitely happy when USPS and CP are involved.

UPS on the other hand..... :roll: - not so much
    Much more expensive in my experience, to the point where i will find another retailer if my first choice ships by UPS.

This does change matters as I was under the impression that this site shipped everything by UPS as most online retailers do. This is very good to know. Thanks for the info!

ZF
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes...we always ship via USPS for international orders. Much cheaper and usually the taxes aren't so bad.

'm
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Actually if the D-500 has a case and has had the frets leveled and action set-up that is actually closer to $700 at Djangobooks (not incl. shipping, etc) so $550 would be a pretty good deal (if it had that work done and wasn't damaged).
  • ZeroFretZeroFret New
    edited January 2008 Posts: 6
    Bones wrote:
    Actually if the D-500 has a case and has had the frets leveled and action set-up that is actually closer to $700 at Djangobooks (not incl. shipping, etc) so $550 would be a pretty good deal (if it had that work done and wasn't damaged).

Although I did not ask I don't think the seller has had the guitar set up.
    He said he's had it for 2 years and he hardly plays it since he lost interest in trying to relearn a new techinique. The case he described sounds more like a gigbag to me. Now, I do have an Aria MM-20 that even though it's not the best it really feels and sounds good enough for me to learn the basics on. I think what I will do is put my money towards some learning books and videos which I can purchase right here now that I know that they will be shipped by USPS. :D

ZF
  • ZeroFretZeroFret New
    Yes...we always ship via USPS for international orders. Much cheaper and usually the taxes aren't so bad.

'm

Thanks for the info. That is very good to know since I see there are good books and DVD's here for sale.:)

ZF
  • beebobeebo New
    ZeroFret wrote:
    I think what I will do is put my money towards some learning books and videos which I can purchase right here now that I know that they will be shipped by USPS. :D

ZF

wise indeed :D