DjangoBooks.com

Line 6 Variax 700 Acoustic Selmer Emulator

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
This is a modeling guitar from line 6 that recreates several acoustic notes, one of which is a selmer/macafferri patch. I have heard 2 different selmer sound samples from this guitar, one wasnt bad, one was awful. Has anyone actually heard one of these in person? What were your opinions of the sound for gypsy jazz?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The DTAR Mama Bear does the same thing:

You can use it with any guitar equipped with a piezo or magnetic pickup. I tried with a Gitane fitted with a bigtone. The Mama Bear has a Selmer setting (sampled from a Dupont). It actually did fill out the sound a lot and removed most of the quack and brittleness you get from a piezo. It's not perfect, but it does do a decent job of limiting the harshness of piezo pickups.

'm
    I bought the Variax Line 6, thinking that it was going to be a versatile instrument. You could play walking bass lines an octave lower, nylon sound, gypsy sound, I mean what more could a jazz guitarist want. However, the sounds a pretty second rate. The bass just sounds like a synthetic octaver without the top octave, the nylon hardly sounds anything like a nylon strung guitar, and the gypsy well ...you can fill in the rest. In it's favour it is a well constructed guitar, even if the action is a little stiff. I didn't try it through a hard disc, but for live work with an amp, it didn't cut it for me. Needless to say it went back whence it came the next day.