DjangoBooks.com

Swing/Rockabilly guitar instructor in Jerusalem, Israel

NachmanNachman JerusalemNew
edited October 2007 in Welcome Posts: 4
bs"d

Hi, my name is Nachman. I am performing and teaching guitar in Jerusalem, Israel.

Background:

I was born in Paris, France and worked for years in the Marche au puces (flea market in the north of Paris), where I got to know Ninine and Mondine, two of the pillars of Gypsy Jazz in Paris. I was often the only customer in the bar they played (and still play), listening to them for entire afternoons.
My family is friends with Patrick Saussois and Jean Yves Dubanton, I know them since I am a kid. They became my biggest influences in Gypsy Jazz. I was training (following Patrick's suggestion) to become Patrick's new rhythm guitarist 10 years ago, but then moved to Israel.

I have also been playing Rockabilly since a very young age, and mixed these two styles in the different bands I played with throughout Europe. Based on these (and other) influences I developed a sound of my own which was sought after by other artists (Cafe Du Nord, Claudia Colonna and various Rockabilly bands all over Europe.)

Here in Israel I have been privileged to meet and learn from old-school hassidic/yiddish singers.

Aspects of my outlook on teaching:

The more the student listens and absorbs a style of music (through records, concerts, jams etc...) the better and deeper and more sincere s/he will play.

It is very important to learn the standards, rhythm and melody.

Know music theory.

Be open to the tradition. Take it in. Copy it. Be respectful.

Then go use it tastefully in a way that comes from inside you,
expressing your own feelings. Don't be afraid to sound different from
what you have learned. Never be old.

If you are interested, or have any questions, please contact me. I am
always happy to share what I have received.

Check out http://www.myspace.com/nachmanfahrner

Hope to play with you soon,
Nachman