DjangoBooks.com

Does someone have any tips for this one?

2»

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Hmmmm,
    I agrew with Mr. D, it's pretty simple, I'd just use a g major idea for five bars (likely a 2 bar and a 3 bar lick) then a Bb major idea for five bars, with something to get you back into g for the last 3 . . . interesting chord progression; Are they all simple triads unless noted?
    Cheers,
    B.
  • Tobias LandaTobias Landa HollandNew
    and btw does someone have the chord-progression of honeysuckle rose? I can't find it anywhere...
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The chords as played by Django are here:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/it ... ume-1.html

Like many standards, Django and other Gypsies play them with different changes then you'll see in standard jazz fake books. Django played some very hip cord subs on Honeysuckle!

'm
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    Dennis is right, of course(!) 4 minor is very common, it's called modal mixture in theory land. At a certain point the theory doesn't really matter. You can play around the chord shape and use your ears.
    An example of iv minor can be found in the Beatles classic,
    "In My life." The iv major chord is followed by four minor.
    the same progression happens in many standards and pop tunes, "Stardust" is another example, so is "After You've Gone."
    Also, when a change like that lasts for a bar or two, you really don't need to think of it as a key change, just a coloring change or a temporary
    tonal center, if it lasts for a few bars, [use your ears!]
    Heck, it happens in Nuages! BTW, a common sub for cmi in the key of G is to play an f9, it's almost the same chord, [hey, most of y'all knew that.]
    It's too complicated and unnecessary to try to figure out what key the
    iv minor belongs to, [makes my head hurt!]