DjangoBooks.com

Moustache picks?!

mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
I just got my first Moustache pick from DB.com and I really like it. Seems to be brighter (in a good way) than my Wegens. I'm not sureit wil be as easy to hold, though, without the thumb indent and scoring. Any other users out there?

Djavo

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hi Djavo,
    I have one too.
    I don't use it much because I made the mistake of buying a 2mm.(because at the time that's what I liked) and I like much thicker picks now.
    However it sounds great and I'm planning on buying another (fatter) one soon.
    If your feeling adventurous and you know what your doing you could customize it with a Dremel drill, for the thumb indent and the ridges.
    Cheers,
    Enrique
  • mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
    Great suggestion. I was thinking of doing some personal mods to thie pick to improve its grip, so maybe I'll try that.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Let us know how it works out, maybe post some photos if you can.
  • cantzoncantzon Jeju Do, South KoreaNew
    I have the same opinion. It sounds better but is harder to hang on to.
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Those picks are okay but your really should invest in one of Elliots handmade coconut picks, I use mine all the time and it sounds even better after the coconut hairs wear off... they're expensive but worth it!

Robert
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Wait...how much were they again???

Now Robert you know that isn't coconut hair, it is gorilla hair from the Albino Gorilla I have to wrestle to get the quality coconuts I use. Fortunately he is usually in a pretty good mood...
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Seriously though, here's my latest (and probably last) iteration. It has the angle/length of a Moustache but more rounded, with a Wegen tip, a Dugain type wide dish, and the wedge runs up the side for easier rolling, basically everything I could want. The depth of the dish determines how close to the fulcrum one plays and changes the amount of wiggle the pick does when playing fast. For 200bpm I switch back to the Wegen because it is lighter, but for anything under that it is unmatched, and it definitely has the Django/Fapy tone. I wish I could say my design is responsible, but really it is the greater density pushing through the string that makes the difference; at 3.0g it is .5g over the Wegen. After it is scraped and finished with an oil and aloe salve (they're bikini waxed!) it is as smooth as a poker chip and doesn't slip like a Moustache, which I find to be greasy and uncomfortable. Nevertheless it is tough wrestling Albino Gorillas for coconuts in Wisconsin and they hide well in the few coconut trees we do have here, when you can find them.
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Very nice Elliot! I wonder if the Gorilla teeth would make a good pick? I do like the coconut pick a lot though, in all seriousness, and seems to be wearing well... I appreciate the photo you sent as well Elliot! Thanks

Robert