DjangoBooks.com

Opinions wanted: Best around $2000 guitar???

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Cool Robert!!
    And if you ever come to Mexico city, drop me a line and we`ll jam!!
    And I'll buy you some real mexican food along with some tequila!!
    Enrique.
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Thanks! I'll take you up on that! I'd like to find a dealer in Mexico City to handle our guitars. If you have any suggestions let me know.

R
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    My playing buddy has a Manouche D hole and I am amazed every time we get together how much better the guitar is than the last time we played. He does play a lot but the guitar has really developed so much in a fairly short amount of time. I only wish they made a seven string. I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.
    Ken Bloom
  • kidtulsakidtulsa New
    I'd like to chime in on the Manouche -- I have a 'D'-hole 12-fret that just keeps getting better each time I play it.
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Thanks for the chimes! We are in the process of making a 7 string and should be available this fall. Thanks again!

Robert
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    I am the happy owner of a 2003 Gallato 452 model, who's sound get's better and better. Geronimo Mateos is a superb luthier and I hear the Mateos guitars sell in the price range you're looking for.

best of luck -

Cheers

Phil
  • ChubbyChubby Midwest, USANew
    I have a Mateos 452 with Bigtone that I would like to sell, if you are interested in one of these fine handmade guitars.

chubby
    Thanks to all, I never imagined I would get so many replies!! I'm sure others will find this topic useful in the future.

At this point I'm still considering the options while I sell some stuff to complete raising the money I'll need.

Chubby,
    It that guitar a Gallato or Mateos?
    Please PM with your asking price, details and location (nearest Int airport).
    The import taxes are so high here it'd be cheaper to fly and pick it up.

I heard good things about the early Gallato Tchavolo Schmitt, Is anybody selling theirs? I remember liking the big fat 2x4 necks on those.
    Hi all,
    Please forgive me for shamelessly bragging about this but I just couldn't resist...

I finally paid a visit to Jacques Mazzoleni (of www.gypsyguitars.com) in Maryland a couple of weeks ago.
    Jacques is a great guy and I had a great time, he allowed me to play every guitar he had...sadly the Selmer was at the luthier shop getting some work done... but I got the chance to try three Busatos, a Bucolo (great!) a Gypsy Mystery (nobody knows who made it) and a couple others.

I'm now the proud owner of a gorgeous Dupont MDC 60, 14 fret D-hole, Santos rosewood and matte finish.
    I went to pick up a more expensive Brazilian rosewood one (MDC 50B) I had put on hold and when I got there I just preferred the tone of the 60.
    It's feather light, plays incredibly well and cuts through rhythm guitars like a hot razor blade.

It was made in July of this year so it's really young, it still smells of lacquer and wood with a touch of vanilla...the sound is already all there, I can't believe it's gonna open up more...but I can hear it doing so everyday.
    It doesn't have a very deep bass so it's not such an ideal guitar for rhythm...not too bad either… but it's ideal for lead, just the tone I was looking for and really, really loud with lots of treble.
    The action is very low about 2.5mm and it's strung with Argentines 11's, plays like butter.

I also tried two other Duponts which were absolutely great... but mine was just the best to my ears with much more bark and the matte finish on the back of the neck feels amazing and looks very elegant on the body
    … I like the sound of my Dupont better than all the the other guitars I tried, not just the other Duponts…
    I'm glad I went in person and tried lots of guitars before choosing the one for me.

I'll post a couple of pictures soon.

So in the end I went way over budget....but I'm glad I did...it meant waiting more and even borrowing a little money... but I couldn't be happier.
    I'd recomend Dupont guitars and Jacques Mazzoleni's store to anyone, and I would recomend to always buy a handmade guitar in person when at all possible, each one is different and there's no way to tell which one you'd like best just by looking at pictures on your screen.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Good job man. All talk & recommendations aside, when a guitar speaks to you - for God's sake don't let it get away.

In my life I've let two guitars get away from me and I still recall both of them well enough to probably sketch them - top scratches and all. Worst of all... I can still hear them ... I just can't play them because... well... 'ya snooze / ya lose."
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.