DjangoBooks.com

Which books to get?

2»

Comments

• Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    :!:
    All of this make me really curious now ! I have to see one by myself.
    Mickael, if you read this, could you please let me know when the first Cosimini will be again available ? It's actually the one that fits better what I know.
    Thanks,
    - JG
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    As far as I know the Cosimini books are going out print. Vol 1 is already gone....we have some stock of the other volumes. But once they're sold, that's it. Colin may reprint, but he's telling me now that he's not doing so anytime soon.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    You can see a sample page here:
    http://cosimini.co.uk/page12.html
    although it's one of the tamer charts in the books...

best,
    Jack.
    Bummer! I've just started getting into the genre, and I have so many questions about which books & CD's to get. (Ideally, I'd get them all, but...$$$!)

Michael--any suggestions which one a newbie should get, as far as what you have the least in stock or what would be best for starting out (I suspect they're all the same in that aspect)?

Everyone--Should I worry about getting one of these now or can anyone recommend a better source for play-along tracks, chords, etc. Would the Robin Nolan play-alongs be better despite the fact that they have fewer songs?

I've got L'Esprit Manouche, Gypsy Picking, & Getting Into Gypsy Guitar already. Would anything else now just be overkill? Or should I hold tight and wait till I can actually play at a decent tempo? (I just started studying GJ about 4 minutes ago. Well, OK, last week...)

Thanks for any tips and for all the great advice throughout the forum!
    ~d
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Rhythm is really the thing you need to be working on more then anything else...so I'd say this is top priority:

After that...building repertoire is essential. This is one of the best songbooks, but has no CD:

For play alongs, the Nolan books are good. Also check out the Pearl Django which has more songs w/both tab and standard notation. The Nolan books are Tab only.

Thanks Michael (for both the info and the quick response)!! You've just made a sale!
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Stephane Wrembel has great play-alongs that you can download free from his website. They are really excellent, and if you use them with "transcribe", you can slow them to any tempo you are comfortable with.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
    I ended up by mistake purchasing volume 1 of the Cosimini twice. So if any one wants to buy my duplicate copy, their welcome. Does'nt seem much point having a duplicate i can't use.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500