DjangoBooks.com

Barbara?

CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
edited November 2006 in Repertoire Posts: 271
Hopefully, I'm posting this in the right section....

There are now two volumes of Raffalli's interpretations of Brassens songs. There's also an excellent album of Trenet tunes by Les Pommes de ma Douche. Has anyone dug into the songs of Barbara? Many of them have some pretty interesting changes and great melodies, and they're definitely in the same chanson tradition that gave us tunes like "J'attendrai" and "Menilmontant" (albeit a bit darker and more modern). Anyone on this forum ever play her tunes? Know any groups who do?

(And by the way, can someone offer a translation of the name "Les Pommes de ma Douche"? My very limited French is telling me "The Apples of my Shower," but that doesn't make much sense.)

Comments

• brandoneonbrandoneon Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France✭✭✭
    Cuimean, I'm also sending you a PM, but in response to your questions:
    Has anyone dug into the songs of Barbara?
    A quick glance at Fnac revealed that there are a few albums with the title "Somebody chante Barbara", but I don't think this is what you're looking for ... not quite the same interpretive gusto as Raffalli or Les Pommes.

Incidentally, there is a Barabara album where she sings Brassens...
    (And by the way, can someone offer a translation of the name "Les Pommes de ma Douche"? My very limited French is telling me "The Apples of my Shower," but that doesn't make much sense.)

That would be the Babelfish translation! :lol:
    It's got a funny double meaning ... it can mean "shower heads", but here it's a play on the phrase "pompe manouche".
    They also have a new album, where they delve into other old tunes by the likes of Boris Vian.

- Brandon