DjangoBooks.com

having a very weird buzz, Help!

BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
Hi,
I`m having buzz on my Gitane DG-250 everytime I play the third string at the seventh fret but only if I play the B bass on the sixth string.
Weird eh?
Heilp appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Do you have any leather or felt under the tailpiece?

Is there relief in the neck?

Is the action low? (Lower then 2mm at the 12th fret)

Has the zero fret been "worked" on?

Did you make any changes to the instrument and then noticed the buzz?

Cheers,
    Josh
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    -I don`t have anything under the tailpiece.

-A little relief on the neck

-high action 4mm

-Zero fret untouched

-Shimmed the bridge and buzz started

Thanx
    Try removing the shim(s) and see if the buzz goes away.
    If it does then it might be the shim that is buzzing against the top.

Is the bridge the Saga bridge or is it one you replaces?

Cheers,
    Josh
    Hey Josh, Thanks a lot for your time!

The current shims are paper (metro ticket) so I don`t think thats it.
    I`m still using that crappy Saga bridge, I`ve just got the tools to work on a new one yesterday!
    Anyway, I think the noise is coming from around the fifth fret, it`s really weird that it only happens when I fret both the B on the sixth string and the D on the third! These notes by themselves don`t buzz.
    It`s been happening for quite a while, but it didn`t bother me that much before, I guess it`s just time to do something about it.
    Buzzes are strange things. They can be coming from one place and sounds like they are coming from another. Also with the 250 necks the truss can go loose and needs to be tightened just enough to not rattle. You might check to see if the truss is loose.

Do the frets that buzz have strings flattening? In other words is there a flat spot on the fret where the strings runs over it?

Let em know if there is more info I can give. I would like to help you fix the problem but it's hard without the guitar in hand.

Cheers,
    Josh
    Josh, Thanks again! I know it must be very hard to guess without personally seing the guitar but I really appreciate you trying to help.

There is no flat frets.

The buzz stops or doesn`t happen if I put a finger below the seventh fret.
    I`m thinking it may be a too low nut or the neck relief is not right.

Don`t worry too much about it I can still play it`s just a bit annoying.
    Thanks again.
    Enrique.
    You might have a fret that is just a bit higher that is buzzing when you fret above it. You can check this with a short straight edge that spans 3 frets. Put it over the frets and see if you can rock it back and forth. If you can then the fret in the middle is the high one.

If your open action is good I would not mess with the zero fret at this point.

Cheers,
    Josh
    I tried that and the frets seem to be fine.
    How much neck relief do you recommend? just curious.
    Thanks
    It really depends on how you like it. Some players like more then others. But you push your high E down at the 14th fret and at the first fret... there should be a small amount of space between the string and the frets.
    Like .15mm to .35mm Any more then that and that would be allot of relief. Also you can sight down your neck from the tail end and see if there is a twist in the neck. You can see a twist if the relief is more on one side the the other. Keep in mind doing this with the strings on will give you your relief. If you do it with the strings off or at low tension you will not get an accurate relief measurement.

Cheers,
    Josh
    Man you do reply very fast!
    Ok, I checked and I almost had no relief.
    I`ve loosen up the trussrod and now is around .018 at the seventh fret, This good?
    The action now is very high 4mm at both E`s,
    Is this normal?
    I think if I add any more relief the action is gonna get unplayable. I`m using argentine 10`s.
    Maybe too high at the bridge?
    I`m still getting the mistery buzz, it has to come from somewhere between the nut and seventh fret.
    Also I`m now noticing someother fret buzz along the low E, I believe this is new and only happens if I really whack the string.
    Supposed to be like that?
    I should mention that I made some wooden shims out of some pinkish wood yesterday and the sound is better, became drier, I also hollowed out a bit that original saga bridge and I think is a little better now.