Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

juanderer Henry_A

Related Discussions

Who's Online (1)

• schan 1:49PM

Big Band and Gypsy Guitars?

TenorClefTenorClef UKNew
edited September 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101
Hi does any one have any experience using their gypsy guitars in a big band setting? I know you would normally find an archtop in a big band setting so i wondered if the gypsy guitar would work equally well or perhaps even better withs ability to cut through the mix?
Currently-Gitane 250M
Previously-Gitane 255
Previously- Gitane D500

Comments

• mosikmosik GermanyNew
    No personal experience, but there is some nice playing of Romane on the CD "Romane and The Frederic Manoukian Orchestra" — really worth listening.
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    TenorClef wrote:
    Hi does any one have any experience using their gypsy guitars in a big band setting? I know you would normally find an archtop in a big band setting so i wondered if the gypsy guitar would work equally well or perhaps even better withs ability to cut through the mix?

I think it sort of depends on what you're going for. If you want to play acoustic lead guitar breaks (sort of like Django) than it's OK and would sound good, but for rhythm, they simply don't cut it. I play two big bands regularly (one is a 7 piece, the other a 10 piece) and have recorded with one and the traditional archtop is a tool that works best whether you want to sound like Freddie Greene or Al Avola or Dave Barbour the fat, robust thud of an archtop really defines the beat and the rhythm section. About a year and a half ago my archtop was getting repaired so I had to use my gypsy guitar and it was way too thin to drive the beat.

Best,

Ted
  • Thanks for that insight, i guess the heavy strings usually found on acoustic archtops must be a factor in bringing out the sound. I may experiment with the gypsy guitar and take it along to my big band which i lead and see how it copes, i usually play trombone but the gypsy guitar is a fascinating beast.
    Currently-Gitane 250M
    Previously-Gitane 255
    Previously- Gitane D500