DjangoBooks.com

Fatigue in the Second Set

2»

Comments

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

Does your gig the only time you play 2 hours ?

Do you play at least 1 hour a day ?

I know some players can go days without playing.

And then its not the easiest thing when they have to play a couple hours at the gig.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

I play just about every day, exercises, a bit of studying new material, and some jamming with backing tracks to end the night.

I suggest that getting tired in that second set is a combination of having to work all day and then doing the gig later that night. But, like I said, performing itself can be taxing if you are trying to give it your all for a listening audience. I’m also very demanding of myself. The Werner book is giving me some perspective on where my energies should be, not fretting about useless things, etc.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

"not fretting about useless things" is generally good advice for any noodling GJ guitarists .. ;)

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Two 40 minute sets should not be a problem. Try really working on the stuff at home, maybe even use a cheat sheet for ideas you want to accomplish on certain tunes at the gig. Sometimes you will pull it off others not but the more you really know the options available to you on each tune the easier playing them becomes. Two hrs feels like you are just getting started when things go right and you are accomplishing goals.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. By the way, the more I read Werner’s “Effortless Mastery,” the more I’m reminded of another old but famous book that will really betray my age. That book is Persig’s “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.”

As much as I like Werner's book it is a bit idealistic, he was a prodigy at a young age so he already had developed great technique by his teens, that is not where most of us come from.

richter4208Bones
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso

You'll probably get used to it after a while... I usually play two 45 minute sets and the second set is always a challenge and carrying the gear after is a killer. The only advice I got is... charge more for your playing so at least in the end you got a good wad of cash in your pocket when you finally get home. Playing music live is awesome but it takes a toll... Make sure you're getting paid well for your hard work

What you mentioned brings up another issue and topic probably worth it's own thread: Make sure you're getting paid well for your hard work.

Playing music, professionally or otherwise, is one of the very few endeavors where you're not being paid while you're learning or getting better at your skills. Thus, when going out to play a two hour gig, what's hidden from the eyes of the audience and the person hiring you is countless hours of work that brought you there. Audience may take it for granted and that's fine. Establishment taking it for granted is not. We just got offered a $25 per person plus dinner and tips to play a two hour set at the French restaurant on July 14th, the Bastille day. I don't see that being a slow night. One problem is that the establishments feel it's OK to pay a musician $12.50/hour plus tips and Bouillabaisse. But even more of a problem is when we said that it's not enough, the owner simply said "it's OK, there's a guy that plays a guitar that we usually get, he'll do it".

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited July 2019 Posts: 872
  • QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew

Here's a list of thoughts:

Build up playing slowly before the gig to warm up. Build endurance gradually when practicing days before. Don't eat during playing [or less than an hour before]. Conversely, don't play without having eaten earlier. Stay hydrated but no alcohol or soda. Doing other things with your hands [like typing, yard work etc.] early in the day can make for fatigue. Playing tense & or flashy can cause strain. Ibuprofin etc. before playing helps & also soaking fingers in hot water. Distractions with other issues can make for fatigue. Stretch. Deep and slow inhalation through the nose. Might not possible or desirable, but singing makes for less time soloing and less fatigue... Casual audiences seem to like it :^) if its good...