DjangoBooks.com

2nd Eastman video - with Argentines

These Savarez Argentines are beautiful strings - this is my first set on any guitar. Very impressed. The sound is so different from my first video with this guitar, I thought it warranted another video. Alas, my repertoire is restricted to Nuages and a bit of chord work for La Pompe, this time using the chords to Ultrafox.

I've been working on the gypsy rest-stroke technique, and when practising arpeggios and suchlike, I'm very disciplined to play between oval and bridge, using firm down strokes for the most part. So I was a little dismayed to see on the video that I'd wandered over the edge of the oval hole, and didn't always play firm downstrokes. Ah well, work in progress..

AndrewUlleBucoBonesBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    Sounds really good. I agree, even better than your first post with this guitar, and that one already sounded good...

Re: picking...yeah, I'm a "soundhole drifter" too!
    Rob MacKillop
  • swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5,Bumgarner F hole(DiMauro type)
    Nicely played! sounds great!
    Rob MacKillop
  • Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Cheers.

To those of you with more experience than me, how's my pompe coming along?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Rob, pompe sounds pretty good. At this point it's mostly a personal style/sound thing I'd say. Without nit-picking too much to me it sounds like more of a traditional archtop sort of rhythm where the 1/3 are similar to the 2/4 (with the exception of the upstoke on 1/3). Plus it could use more damping with the left hand but, again, that gets more into personal style than anything else. I'd strive for shorter tones (more damping) and more percussion ("chick" to try to describe it) in the 2/4 to make the 1/3 and 2/4 sound different from each other and add some space between the beats. Again, that's just personal preference and everyone has their own way of doing it. Cheers
    Rob MacKillop
  • stuologystuology New
    Sounds great. The only problem with Argies is that it's tough to get more than 2-3 weeks play out of them and they are expensive in the UK. Best person to buy them from is John Le Voi.

There are about 6 minutes of footage of Django playing the guitar and he uses just about every position you can think of between the bridge and the neck. In his rubato j'attendrai, he plays mainly on the soundhole and across the neck.
    steffoRob MacKillop
    So he does! Well reminded. Well, if it's good enough for Django...

Bones - thanks for that. I've noticed quite a few pompe styles going on from different players, regions, and periods, and what you are saying backs that up. But I hear what you say about more emphasis on the 2 and 4. Cheers.
  • Coming along fine IMO.

You might try adding the modern really dry pompe to your arsenal at some point. I find it useful in some places on some tunes.

Rob MacKillop
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Any online examples of what you mean?
  • steffosteffo New
    stuology wrote: »
    There are about 6 minutes of footage of Django playing the guitar and he uses just about every position you can think of between the bridge and the neck. In his rubato j'attendrai, he plays mainly on the soundhole and across the neck.

Exactly! He plays „dolce“, „sul tasto“
    Rob MacKillop
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 3,707
    @Rob MacKillop

I bumped the thread looking for examples of dry rhythm. Not ideal but you'll get the drift.

If one wrote your rhythm stokes as 1/8th notes then dry rhythm would be written as staccato sixteenths. Just a quicker mute with left hand is all
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed