Logo
Holiday Closure
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

LFriedman Tonda Maléř Archtop'38

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Gypsy Waltz Songs for Jams

Does anyone have suggestions for a not too difficult waltz (e.g Montagne Ste-Genevieve is pretty difficult) that can played at a gypsy jam?

One of the regular upright bass players who shows up asks if anyone knows any waltzes and nobody does. I think it would be fun to play a waltz at the gypsy jam sometime.

Thanks!

Comments

• Wim GlennWim Glenn oƃɐɔᴉɥƆVirtuoso 503
    edited March 8
    Calling waltzes at a Djam is somewhat a faux pas. They're usually long, not very fun to improv over, and might be just an excuse for the guy who learned the melody to show off all his technique -- kind of a jam killer!

But since it's your bass player who called it, maybe that's not the case here. Take a look at "La Foule", easy to play and instantly recognizable. Also "Dolores" is kinda like a waltz version of Django's tiger, it has a catchy melody and not too hard.

It's also pretty fun to try and take a swing tune you all know and get it into 3/4 time, seeing how you can rephrase the head to make it work. Well, I'd rather jam on a waltz than a "gypsy bossa", at the very least!
    BucoScoredog
  • BonesBones Moderator
    La Partita? Jitterbug waltz?
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Here's a simple waltz :

I certainly agree with Wim as it's not really fun when somebody calls "La Gitane" so they can have 5 guitars play rhythm for them. Also double agree about the disaster that is the "gypsy bossa" , fake bossa, or real rumba.
  • While I like Gypsy bossa tunes, I agree with Wim that they're not the best choice for jams, along and especially with waltzes.

Under the Paris Skies (not really a Gypsy waltz but it's a waltz and often found in the GJ repertoire) is one I can think of that's easy melody and a nice form to improvise over. Feel free to skip the major section...
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I would echo Wim's suggestion of La Foule. Great tune and not hard to play. Try Valse des niglos.

Also take a look at songs that are not strictly gypsy waltzes. Charmaine is a lovely tune, as is Lara's Theme from Dr. Zhivago, and Anniversary Song played as a waltz (as originally sung) is another.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Elan 14 - Altamira M10
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    It's also pretty fun to try and take a swing tune you all know and get it into 3/4 time, seeing how you can rephrase the head to make it work.

I have no experience doing this at a jam but Anniversary Song was originally a waltz (Flots du Danube) so would probably be a tune everyone knows, has jammed over, and could be worth a try putting it back into 3/4. You can listen to some of the waltz versions to see how the melody fits.
  • Wim GlennWim Glenn oƃɐɔᴉɥƆVirtuoso 503
    Yes, anniversary song good call. Is dark eyes originally in 3 as well, or am I imagining that?
    There's a south american one (Venezuelan?) called "La Partida" that's popular and works well. Samy Daussat went through it a bit in his classes at DIJ.
    And if you've got an accordion player in the jam, be sure to throw them a few waltzes :)
    Andrew Ulle
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    edited March 9
    Autumn Leaves as a waltz brings that tune back from the sad graveyard of great tragic European songs neutered by insensitive, showy anglophone crooning (Mack the Knife, Que Reste-t-il, and others). Learn the verse too - it's almost better than the song.

Agreed on the more formal waltzes being jam-killers - which is unfortunate, because it means they're not played much, and people don't bother learning them - or they don't stick. The shorter, more tuneful ones - Chez Jacquet, Delores, Ma Theo/La Minch etc - can work nicely at jams if played maybe twice through, with 2 different soloists each presenting their take on the tune.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    What about "someday My Prince Will Come?
  • Dark Eyes is definitely a 3/4 song originally.
    We used to play Nuages in 3/4 as well, was fun.
    billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel